Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night Gillie had his dinner (2 chicken thighs) at around 6pm. He went to bed about 10.15pm. When I got up this morning he had been a little sick and there were some pieces of bone in it. What worried me was the pieces of bone looked and felt very sharp. As a new feeder this is rather scarey! Can anyone put my mind at rest or should I stop feeding him chicken bones? Thanks again!

·
Registered
503 Posts
TBH I didn't start Paddy on chicken thighs until he was a little older - 8 or 9 months. I know the thigh bone is quite large (in relation to a pup's stomach) and can take a little while to digest.

Try chicken wings; they have smaller bones and a bit easier for them to crunch!

I wouldn't worry though, stomach acid is very strong and any raw bones soon loose their sharpness and, if they're sick, you'll notice how soft the bones have become.

Patrick

·
Registered
318 Posts
Same here, I would use chicken wings if you are concerned.

Saying that Dotty my collie is just coming upto 9 months and she has the same bones as all my adults.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll go back to wings. Perhaps I was jumping the gun a bit! What other smallish bones are good at this age (5 months) THanks :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
It shouldn't really be too much of a problem - I fed all sorts within a month of starting raw with my girl.

I don't know how long you've been doing it - if you've recently swapped it could be that it is taking a little time for his digestive system to work as it should when presented with bones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts