Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Now i know we have had talk before on our Labs eating poop, but why do they do it?

I have read so much about why they do it..all kinds of reasons, from lack of minerals in their diet to it tasting good, or change of diet etc.,

Anyway, Brad has been doing this grose hobby over the last few days, not his own may i add, but other doggies and cat poop! When he's on the lead he doesn't do it, only when he's off the lead does he find something to nibble on! He has only ever done this once before when he was about 3 months old, then it was horse poop! :roll:

I'd be really interested to hear other peoples views on why they think our Labs do this from time to time... not only has Brad got really stinky breath from this mornings snack, :oops: it's not favourable putting our hands into his mouth to retrieve it! I'm getting the toothbrush and dog minty toothpaste out tonight! :shock: :wink:

What are your thoughts?

Julie

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

Since we've had Harvey he has eaten his own, Yuk! Not all the time, usually if he has done it in the night, on the kitchen floor :roll:

As he's not been off the lead, I don't know if he would eat anyone elses.
Probably would knowing him :lol:

I would like to know why he does it?

Regards

Fay

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Julie
Technically known as 'coprophragia', although disgusting to us, is perfectly normal doggy behaviour to them. :shock: :roll: :D
I think there's a lot of theories, from lack of enzymes when fed commercial diet, lack of minerals, bitches tend to eat their pups faeces while cleaning up after them and it's possibly a 'natural' behaviour the puppies pick up. Also faeces still have nutrients so to a dog it's a food source. In my experience they do tend to grow out of it, although there will always be the exception.
And just to think we spend all this time and money researching and buying the best food for them and what do the like eating.....! :roll:
Don't you just love 'em :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Eating Poop!

One of my 4 month old labs is a fan of poop eating. Doesn't matter whether it theirs or the cats. Will actually go looking in the catbox when she thinks she needs a snack! Plus like someone else commented, I'll go into their mouths for a lot of things, but I absoutely draw the line there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts