Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having determined that it wld be inadvisable to use birds having died from coccidiosis for cold game training in my last post :oops: - feel a bit of an idiot asking, but at least I didn't do it!), I'm afraid that I've got another probably silly and obvious query - and wld be very grateful if anyone could pass on their knowledge...

If I have cold game, how long might I keep it for for training purposes? I should note that it is kept cold, in a large chiller - but is it bad if it gets too "mature" (Don't imagine this can be too realistic - and have visions of Tom keeling over in an ecstatic swoon after retrieving a bird which is a little "high" 8O 8O :lol: ) Is there also a guideline on how many times you might "reuse" a bird - assuming it hasn't got too slobbery?!

Thank you everyone once more!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I ould only myself use birds once... twice if we literally only picked them once or twice in that session. And only the next day.

A manky bird, and that can be an 'overripe' bird OR one that is starting to get tatty, only encourages a novice dog to refuse to pick, stand over looking down going 'REALLY? THAT? Surely not, Mother?' or to toss it about ragging at it as small feathers come away in their mouths that should not etc etc...

Di

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
If I have cold game, how long might I keep it for for training purposes? I should note that it is kept cold, in a large chiller
I have a small old freezer I brought second hand in my shed and keep a selection in there. I dont keep much, but try to make it varied. At the moment I have a hen and couple of cock Pheasants, a couple of Pigeons and a Snipe. They are fine to stay in the freezer from one season to the next, but once I've thawed them for use I never refreeze, although I know some people do.

Regards, John

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many, many thanks! There are all these things which seem silly and which books I've seen just seem to "assume" - when in fact there is no substitute really for experience! I thought that Tom, who is only just being started on cold game, seemed to be a bit funny about holding the bird the second time I used it - which was 3 days after it had met its end. All explained now - and I won't be making this mistake again :oops: ...

Like the idea of a freezer, too - will have to work on my wife to persuade her that we need another one (I doubt she will be too keen on unprepared birds in with the family shopping... but then I caved in to her getting her cocker pup, which we're collecting on Thurs - so I may be in with a chance :wink: )

I'm most appreciative of you being willing to pass this on. :D Thanks once more!

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Before I brought the little freezer I just used to wrap them in carrier bags and store them in the household freezer. But small second hand freezers can often be brought for no more than about £25. I've had this one for years so it does not owe me anything. And it often gets used as an overflow freezer at Christmas. :wink:

But also, when you've finished with the birds you can always take the wings off for strapping onto a dummy. Then, living in a Red Kite area I leave the carcase out on a local hill for dinner for the Kites. So it still has a value. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
224 Posts
We train a lot with cold game in Finland, nothing unusual around here. Trust your nose: it will certainly tell you, when it is time to bury that bird of yours deep in the heart of your dustbin. You can basically keep them in a fridge about three days, you can use them more than once, if it is not +35 degrees or raining cats and dogs.

If you have a freezer, just wrap the bird inside a newspaper, put it in a plastic bag and please, write on top of the bag, what you have inside. If you have loads of game in the freezer, you won't be able to remember after a while. Don't worry, talk nicely to your wife and then put the birds next to raspberry pies and frozen peas, they won't get hurt in any way. In our freezer we have homebaked cherry pie, french fries, bread and chicken pieces in total harmony with some frozen sea-gulls, rabbits, crows or whatever happens to be inside of the bags.

And by the way, you can defrost the game a couple of times, if they are in good condition and haven't been used for twelve dogs! Again, trust your eyes and nose: the game you use should never be in bad condition!

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
then put the birds next to raspberry pies and frozen peas, they won't get hurt in any way.
Yep, thats just what I used to do before I brought Anna the freezer! Spent years hiding things in the household freezer! :lol:

John :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you - I will certainly try this! Fingers crossed for an understanding wife... (strange, she's fine with helping me butcher deer, will despatch, pluck & prepare her own chickens - but for some reason seems to have a "thing" about pheasants & partridge in their "natural" state... :( )

Anyway, a devious :wink: solution still exists even in the face of opposition - I will simply bury things in strategically labelled bags at the bottom of the chest freezer....!! :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts