Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting, one of the reasons we went for a bitch was I thought the decision to spay was more straightforward than the decision to neuter but the more I read the less it seems to be the case. I didn't see any mention of a laparoscopic spay, where they remove the ovaries and leave the uterus. I think that's the option we're going to go for, either after her 2nd or 3rd season depending on timing. I've never heard of removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Click on the arrow at the side of the page to move from page to page.

Should I Spay or Neuter My Dog? (puppyculture.co.uk)
Thank you for this. Very interesting. With your bitches, do you spay them? And if so at what age? We had our last Lab spayed after her second season on the advice of the vet. On reflection she was still very young in her behaviours and I wonder if this had anything to do with her being puppy-like until she was about seven!?

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this. Very interesting. With your bitches, do you spay them? And if so at what age?
All of my dogs and bitches have been neutered at some point. With my first two bitches, both had to be spayed late in life as an emergency. Mandy developed pyometra at 10 years old which needed operating on. Katy went diabetic and the hormone rush throws the blood sugar level haywire so had to be spayed. Operations late in life are always harder on either dogs or humans, so I made up my mind there and then that I would not leave it so late again. Since then I've settled on 5 years old for spaying. At that point the dog is well developed both physically and mentally and still young enough to throw of the effects easily. OK, it suits me and mine and my dogs lifestyle, but it may not suit everybody. I've been handling seasons for the last 50+ years, so that side is no problem and I always have same sex dogs so unwanted matings are not a problem either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All of my dogs and bitches have been neutered at some point. With my first two bitches, both had to be spayed late in life as an emergency. Mandy developed pyometra at 10 years old which needed operating on. Katy went diabetic and the hormone rush throws the blood sugar level haywire so had to be spayed. Operations late in life are always harder on either dogs or humans, so I made up my mind there and then that I would not leave it so late again. Since then I've settled on 5 years old for spaying. At that point the dog is well developed both physically and mentally and still young enough to throw of the effects easily. OK, it suits me and mine and my dogs lifestyle, but it may not suit everybody. I've been handling seasons for the last 50+ years, so that side is no problem and I always have same sex dogs so unwanted matings are not a problem either.
Thank you, that’s a really helpful perspective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts