Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I put a post on yesterday telling you all about Bradleys trip to the vet.

I just thought i would let you know, that after posting the post, Bradley wasn't well! Late last night he had extreme diarrhea, and this morning from about 6am he was sick twice, with continued diarrhea. (He was such a good by, he scratched at the door to go out, he has never done this before, he must have been desperate!) :(

Anyway, i phoned my sister, who is a qualified vetinary nurse, who advised me on what to do etc., It turns out it was either a gastro related illness that Brad picked up from the vets, or due to stress from his visit. Although he didnt appear stressed at the time, he was very good, they can apparently have an 'afterward' stress related illness. I just thought i'd mention it, just be a bit careful when taking your puppies, due to their young age and also low immunity.

The good news is that after starving Bradley for 12 hours, he has just enjoyed a platter of chicken and rice, he is much better after loads of sleep (he's snoring again now) and rest.

I sometimes forget just how young he is, bless him, i've told him he's a brave boy and next time i will tell the nasty man to be very careful with him, lol . (the vet)

Regards
Bradleysmum

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Bradleysmum,

Glad to hear Bradley is on the mend...Must be a weight off your mind.

They are always a worry.

Give him a pat from us :p

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Kanesdad,

I was very worried this morning, as he's never been sick before.

He's slept loads today, so must be exhausted.

It's amzing how much you can love them after only being with them a few months isnt it, i couldnt imagine life without him.

Thanks again,
Talk soon
Bradleysmum

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zara used to hate going to the vets. She would shake and shiver like a Parkinson's patient on speed as soon as she smelt that vet waiting room smell. More than once I "enjoyed" the sight of the Vets assistant dealing with a Bowel Boa constrictor while I tried to have a serious conversation with the vet and stop my eyes watering from the stench.

As a pup she had some digestion problems, and we used to have to virtually force her medicine down her twice a day for 2 weeks. I think the experience of the vet doing it a good few times probably stuck in her mind - either that or she was exceptionally hacked off at losing her bits and being denied the chance of Motherhood.

Your dog will get a bit sick from time to time - it's the natural course of events - so don't get too het up about it. Expect a few colds, upset tummys, cuts to their pads, broken teeth and the odd scary moment.

By and large your average hound is going to make it through life fine without any major worries. Your NOT an average owner so he is always going to be better off than average but you can't shield him from life so don't try to.

I'd go so far as to say that if your dog doesn't get a little sick or injured at some points in his life you aren't letting him live his life to full. If you never ride a bike, you are never going to fall off one etc.
The unescapable reality is that he's going to die of something so as you get to the later years of his life he's going to get some health problems but you'll get through them fine and do the best for him.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Stanley,

Wise words, however i do feel that puppies do need that extra care and attention, i have heard of alot of horrible illnesses that can be seriosuly harming to young dogs within 24 hours. I think it is good practise to be aware of even the slightest sign that something could be wrong, to prevent the 'what if' scenario. My main cause for concern, would generally be if they ate something which would harm them, our Bradley always tries to eat everything, he is a gobbler, lol, so i think at this point in his life, i would naturally have to be a little extra aware of things.

I always remember they can't tell us when they are feeling unwell, so they rely on our instincts to know when and how to help them. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts