Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just rescued a small retriever fron Serbia. We have had her a week. I currently food her a mix if Chappie biscuits and half a tin of wet food mixed. I was wondering what everybody else foods htere little ones and how much. Keen to give her the best start I can..Just fishing for a few ideas.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I'm not going to tell what food to feed. What I will say is that if you ask 12 people you will get 12 different answers. But a few pointers.

Firstly, you dont say the age of the dog, so I wont assume anything. So, it's normal to feed pups 4 meals per day until 12 weeks, then 3 to 6 months and 2 meals a day thereafter. (Though I do give mine a bonio at mid day. Maybe not necessary, but I like them to have something hard to bite on, thinking as much as anything that it helps to keep their teeth clean.)

Secondly, pick a food which you can easily obtain. With the internet and online sales thats not quite such a problem as it use to be, but it's still easier if you can go to a local shop, particularly when you are running out and have forgotten to reorder!

If this is a puppy then you can feed a puppy food if you like, but strictly speaking it's not necessary. Think about this, there is no puppy food in the wild and for most of my dog owning life there was no puppy food. It's a relatively new development, a solution for a non existing problem!

As to amounts to feed, this is an impossible question because it varies fog to dog, even of the same breed. I normally have more than one Labrador around and I've never yet fed any two the same amount. The active dog will obviously need more than the couch potato! But thats not the end of the story, the dog's own metabolism comes into it. I can only say, "Food according to the dog. If you thought your husband was getting a bit thin you would add a little more food on his plate, but if he started to get a bit podgy you would cut him a little. And so with your dog. Labradors will always plead starvation, it's their nature. Dont believe a word they say! Use your hands, if the ribs feel hard edged she is too thin. If you can feel the ribs blurred under the skin you are not far out, if you cant feel the ribs then she's too fat. After a short time you will develop an eye for it.

About amounts of food. Most manufacturers print a feeding guide on the sack or tin, but sadly these often err on the high side. Always remember, the more you feed the richer the pet food manufacturer becomes. It is in their interest for you to feed the max possible!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts