Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Amber is starting to teeth!! See gets very possessive of my kids & my pregnant wife. No barking or growling or snapping. She just sits beside them and stares at strangers, just to make sure they know she is there!!! Fine with cars & taking trips in cars. Fully toilet trained - no accidents in all about 3 weeks of a clean house. She sleeps from 11pm to 7am most days. Chicken is her kryptonite - she loves cooked chicken, but it gives her the squirts the days after!!

The only thing that she is bad at is pulling hard while out for a walk - any suggestions to stop her pulling??

Stealing my seat:-

Relaxed are we?

Sit!

·
Registered
58 Posts
She is lovely! Milo is coming up to 6 months and I think we're finally making some progress on the pulling of the lead. He wears a harness as I was worried about hurting his neck, and there was a picture on a sticky that I found really helpful, I think Jules posted it. I hold the lead in right hand & he walks on my left, so lead dips in front of me. I hold treats in left hand & if he sticks by me he gets a treat. If he strays ahead I stop & he's quickly learnt that if he comes back & walks nicely the treats return! It's taken a good few weeks as when other people walk him they aren't as consistent, but now they want to know why he's great with me & not them! Good luck!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Pulling on the lead is a devil to stop when yoou have allowed it to start... but you aren't at all alone! ts just much easier with a baby to teach them to walk calmly on the lead, using treats and patience, than have to reschool them when they have spent several months thinking pulling is normal... but for you, they are stronger now, and suddenly it becomes a problem...

have a read, skim if you like, but there are literally dozens of posts helping:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-76587.html

But now its started and you need to nip it immediately in the bud, you will need to get everyone on board who walks her, so she is not getting one set of boundaries from one, and another from another because they have less time or patience etc.

IF one person has less time or patience and you think they might confuse her, suggestion is they drive her to walks and just free run her and drive her home so no confusion starts for her and its not a chore for them.

Di

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is for the first 2 weeks out she was very good at just walking beside me, lead sitting quite slack & was given treats when we got home. She suddenly started this last week when we took her out - the treats stopped & she still does it.

Just reading through the link you posted now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Andy, she won't associate the treats when you get home with how the walk went. Rewards (or corrections) need to be within a second of the dogs action for them to link the two together. Basically, as soon as she's walking to heel, 'good girl, heel' + treat. Repeat A LOT!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Andy dogs live in the moment... they don't associate things before or after by minutes and hours... so for example, you walk in a room having been out... dog has trashed your shoe.... you shout at it... it looks scared/guilty/concerned... That fear is nothing to do with the SHOE being trashed, when the dog was DOING that it thought it was OK to do because noone AT THAT SECOND was telling it that it was wrong to do.... so yoour shouting means the dog is just baffled and confused and upset... its not helping fix the problem...

..... SO what i'm trying to highlight is that treats after a walk or no treats will affect not a jot of her behaviour ON the walk because the only way to correct or chatise bad or good behaviour with a dog is to do it the second that behaviour is happening.

So treats ON the walk encouraging and holding her INTO the heel position are what is needed. instantly.... at the moment she IS.... with a very clear and firm 'heeeeel, GREAT heeeel... gooooood heeeel'..... she needs to 1) learn the WORD associacted to 2) 'where she is' (IE next to you on a slack lead) and 3) get a treat at the same time....

thats how pups learn :) Very different to children.

Di

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
No, not very different to children ;)

Until they reach 10-11 years old kids are not too good at delayed gratification either :)

The thing I find harder about pooches than children is that you can't explain what's about to happen - so any change of routine takes then by surprise.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Andy, I do think its probably pretty important that you guys look up and attend a good puppy training class if you can (you may already be), to get a few ideas on how dogs learn, and to bring her on in leaps and bounds....

Di

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are only 2 places that do puppy classes close enough by, unfortunately the one closest only does classes in the daytime (I work 5-6 days a week 8-9 hrs a day and my other half Joanna is a childminder & doesn't drive) class is next town away. And the one in the evening is a 30 mile round trip. I've been in touch with both, there is a waiting list to take her to either!!

So I've chatted with local vet who gave me a few pointers towards excellent online training guides (some of them on this very forum!)
Most of them Amber has taken to almost immediately.

So far:-

Sit, stay, down, no, gentle, shake, please, food, treat, toilet, loose, bed, lay down.
Have all been well done - usually with treats when she was doing as requested with lots of positive praise & attention.

The pulling was the one I couldn't get her to stick to - I've read the guide on here (all 15 pages) and started to use some of the tips.

Ordered a proper slip lead from local pet shop too!! (I should mention that's not for use now! Until she is properly trained)

I've just started today walking around the house with some of her favourite treats in my right hand (dried beef heart) and as she follows me around at heel I've been saying the heel command very clearly - giving her little pieces of the treats. And she seems to be taking to it quickly. I've just come back in from the garden - lead in the left hand across my front loose, treat in right hand and she marched about the garden for about 8-10 minutes - following me at almost perfect heel, just jumping up at my hand a few times (but this got less and less the more we did it!!)

Seen as she behaved she got to play with her ball (favourite toy) she is now sleeping on the her favourite spot in front of the fire!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" I've just started today walking around the house with some of her favourite treats in my right hand (dried beef heart) and as she follows me around at heel I've been saying the heel command very clearly - giving her little pieces of the treats. And she seems to be taking to it quickly "

..... Andy thats exactly right. So she starts to associate the WORD with where HEEl actually is... rather than hearing it to correct her when she pulls AHEAD. If she pulls ahead, correct with a grumble and a sigh and a 'nooo...nooooo' and then bring her back to where you want her using lead and treat... pause, then move off again using 'heeeeeel'

So you are only using it when she is AT heel rather than as a correction at any point... whilst she is learning (and this will take some time, so don't rush it...)

Di

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks - just needed a few pointers, but she does take to things quickly. Done the same play/treat/heel training twice today. 2nd time had her clip lead on - it's quite short, but stayed slack the whole time. She talked around the house for 5 minutes - if she pulled ahead I stopped said no. She came back to my side and we continue.

Her trick at the moment is with her food bowl - as you put the bowl down she will sit I front of it but won't just dive straight in. You say to her "please?" She will nudge the bowl with her nose. You say "ok girl" and then she will eat it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts