Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I AM THE MOM OF A BEAUTIFUL 18MONTH OLD LAB CALLED AMBER :D

BACK IN JUNE 2004,MY FAMILY AND I LOOKED AFTER A DOG, WHY THE OWNER WENT ON HOLIDAY. IT WAS GREAT UNTIL WE HAD TO RETURN THE DOG AND MY 3YEAR OLD SON BROKE HIS HEART.

THEN IN OCT MY BROTHER CALLED TO SAY THAT HE KNEW OF SOMEONE WHO RESCUED LABS. AND THEY HAD 0NE THAT WAS READY TO BE REHOMED.
WE ARRIVED AT THE LADIES HOUSE TO VIEW THE DOG AND SAT IN HER LIVING ROOM. AFTER SHE HAD TAKEN OUR DETAILS, SHE OPEN THE DOOR, TO LET THE DOG IN.

OH MY GOODNESS SHE WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHOCOLATE LAB. SHE RAN STRAIGHT TO ME ROLLED ON HER BACK AND INSISTED THAT I RUB HER TUMMY. IT WAS LOVE AT 1ST SIGHT.

I KNOW I PROBABLY SHOULD,NT SAY THIS BUT IN ONE WAY I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE PEOPLE WHO DIDNT WANT HER ANYMORE, BECAUSE SHE BRINGS US SO MUCH JOY AND MY SON WHO IS NOW 4, THEY ARE BEST MATES. IT A PLEASURE TO HAVE HER AND AS SOON AS I CAN I WILL POST A PICTURE OF HER ON THE SITE.

THANKS FOR TAKING TIME OUT TO HAVE A READ AND JUST LIKE TO SAY WANT A GREAT SITE THIS IS.
CHEERS LYDIA

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Lydia

Welcome to the site!

I'm so glad to hear that you have found your lovely lab - she sounds gorgeous! And how lovely for your son too to have his new best friend.

Well done for giving her such a loving home, they just steal your heart don't they?

Look forward to seeing some piccies soon.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thx for sharing your story Lydia.

Anyone else have a rescue lab>?

We would love to hear how you came about adopting your lovely labs.

Please tell :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
how lovely to hear a success story, you must have been ment for each other!

Glad your family is now complete.

sometimes it is not through neglect that these homes have to give up for adoption their most precious dogs, but through changes of circumstances, family breakdown and work changes often mean that these people who want the best for their dogs can see that a hard decision has to be made for the best interest of the lab concerned.

Luckily these labs are not usually hard to find homes for because they are sooo adorable, and rarely have any problems such as agression. I do some rescue work for Labrador Lifeline Trust and see some heartbreaking surrenders of dogs, (six foot men breaking into tears at having to let their dogs go), and some beautiful homings too.

You are lucky to have found one another, we look forward to pics soon, welcome to the group of us who are totally owned by our beautiful labbies

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
bonniesmum said:
sometimes it is not through neglect that these homes have to give up for adoption their most precious dogs, but through changes of circumstances, family breakdown and work changes often mean that these people who want the best for their dogs can see that a hard decision has to be made for the best interest of the lab concerned.
Hi Bonniesmum. That's a very balanced view and so true. I did some work for a local animal shelter when I was a teenager and more often than not when people actually bring their pets in for rehoming (as opposed to them being found abandoned) they are inconsolable.

From my own experience, my dad decided to get my mum a dog from the shelter when she returned from hospital following a long illness. However, the dog, a gorgeous lurcher cross, was very boisterous and my mum, who was still recovering really, was unable to cope. Unfortunately, we had to return him to the shelter and we all cried buckets. I didn't forgive my parents for weeks! However, Ally (as we had named him) was rehomed within a week of his return, to a family more able to cope with him.

And about a year or so later, my mum and dad went back to the shelter where she chose the most beautiful mongrel, Ben, who became her loyal companion for the next 15 years.

All the best,
Nicola.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts