Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking Bailey tonight and he was actually being really good (hardly pulling). He's only 9 months and is always really excited on walks.

Anyway, we were walking along nicely when i saw a bicycle coming towards us. I stepped aside and told Bailey to sit, as I knew he would pull towards the person riding the bike. He does still tend to pull towards people and dogs, especially if they're quite near.

Just then a man appeared from behind a bush walking towards us. Bailey stood on his back legs trying to get towards him but I had the lead so he weren't going anywhere. The man stepped into the road to avoid us and shouted 'Is that dog trained?!' I replied 'He's just being friendly' and he shouted 'Friendly, huh!' I was really disheartened as Bailey is such a friendly dog and loves poeple. Perhaps we haven't taught him well?

We walked around the corner and a friendly man ran over and asked if he could see my dog. He spent five minutes fussing him and saying what a great dog he is. Which he is. Have i not taught him well or is it just cause he's an excited pup? He's our first dog and we think he's great! :?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I think the man just wasn;t doggy friendly and perharps Bailey was a bit startled by the mans apearance, Bailey sounds just lovely and any doggy person would've seen that Bailey was just happy and wanted to day hello;

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I think your title says it....... some people just dont like dogs :roll:

Ignore them and feel sorry for what they're missing :)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Don't worry, it does get better, honestly! Bracken still pulls to get to people she knows, like my next door neighbour, if she thinks she can get away with it. It's a while now since she's done this to complete strangers, and she'll now completely ignore joggers and cyclists, I don't have to make her sit and wait and watch me. I'm sure at 9 months I was still having to do all of that though.

Your pup sounds gorgeous. Keep going as you are and ignore silly people who have no idea how much time and effort has gone into training your pup to be such a sociable, lovable, lump! :D

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hello

It is upsetting when that kind of this happens. It makes you feel like you have some sort of monster on a lead not a loved family pet :(

He might have had a bad experience in the past that has made his worried about dogs. Ive had people shout at me because seeing a big black dog coming towards you can be a daunting sight if your not used to animals.

Don't let it bother you too much. It sounds like Bailey has good manners but as you say hes still only young and gets excited as im sure all dogs do. I Don't believe you have done anything wrong.

Some people just Don't like dogs, personally i don't get it. Whats not to love about someone who loves you no matter how much money you have i the bank, what you look like or what you have or haven't done that day. :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sounds like a sad old chestnut to me! Give your boy a big hug and be glad that you can appreciate him, even if some silly sods miss out!!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
As others have said, there are some people that simply don't like dogs.

Contrary to how he behaves at shows, Moz is a star on the lead when out walking - and two ladies came along blocking the pavement giving me nowhere to go but onto the edge of the road :( they actually made noises about 'oooh big vicious dog' 8O (he's the dullest of all my dogs :roll: ) - but therein does lay another problem really created by ME - because I moved to one side, that can also give cautious people the impression that a dog is something they are not, when all you are trying to do is be polite.

Sadly, there will always be people around like that - I've encountered some spectating at shows 8O - just smile sweetly and know that your life is a lot richer than theirs :wink:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. Because he's so strong, when that man questioned whether he was trained it did make me feel like I hadn't done enough. We took him to puppy school and he was great, although they weren't the best classes in the world, as there were only two other terriors there.

To be honest though, Bailey is so strong that if he wanted to pull me raging through the streets he could but he doesn't (most of the time).

I love all animals. Even though we didn't have dogs growing up my boyfriend always wanted a chocolate lab and from the moment we got Bailey, we grew in confidence with him and other dogs and I feel like they sense it.

It's really obvious when you see children. Some children scream and run away from Bailey in the park, leaving their parents looking at me as if to kill. And then you get children coming up to see him and saying how he looks like their dog.

I suppose I just need to try and see things from other's perspectives. I remember how scared I was when I first went to the breeder's house and their 6 female dogs wanted to say hello 8O

Seriously though, I don't want to think that peole have bad feelings towards Bailey. He loves to have fun and just doesn't realise his own strength.

I think I'll be more prepared if someone says that again. I shall tell them he's trained to eat people who I don't like! :lol:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Like everyone else has confirmed there are just some people who don't like/are scared of dogs :(.

Now for the hot tip :D . I have a gundog whistle on a 'the gundog club' lanyard. I have found people are much more understanding about Dylan's occasional lapses in good manners when I'm wearing this. I think it must just give off 'responsible owner/person training their dog' vibes 8).

Another piece of kit that I've found invaluable is a thick skin :wink:.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
There are plenty of anti-dog people around, unfortunately. :( For them, nothing dog owners say or do can ever be right.

I have one VERY "anti" set of neighbours living just a couple of houses away. The bloke takes any sound from any dog anywhere, no matter how slight or how distant, as a personal affront. :? :roll:

We live in a detatched house on a normal residential street. There are a lot of dog owners here. He has been known to walk along the street apparently listening out, and if any dog so much as yips an anonymous note is posted through that door about constant dog barking, and how he will deal with it via the Dog Warden. He has actually done that to one family we know, and they are now under a warning from the council for no good reason that I can fathom other than that they have three dogs.

I have had some of his notes. All giving off about my dogs barking at times when I was in the house and know that they were not! :evil: :evil:

Mind you, this guy is a pillock. About 6 weeks ago I heard what I thought was gunshot from the local fields. I thought it sounded closer than usual, but it didn't last. A few days later I found out that he had also taken a dislike to the birds singing in his garden so he had got hold of one of those bird scarer things that farmers use to protect crops, which go off like a 12 bore shotgun. He clearly had not really known what they were though, and disliked the bird scarer too. :lol: :lol:

People are entitled to their opinions. Some have understandable reasons for fearing dogs (such as having been bitten/attacked), but others sometimes just take things too far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts