Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake! :D

Jake had been looking for a home after being in kennels for a few months. His details were posted on a dog rescue forum by myself on behalf of Labrador Rescue South East & Central.

Despite a few enquiries, there seemed to be no real interest in him, possibly because he is 8 or maybe because he is blind. He lost his sight due to PRA and has been blind for about 18 months.

Every time I added to his post, or checked to see whether anyone wanted him, I got a little bit more tempted despite hoping to get my 'dream' dog, an oldie yellow Lab So, after several days of thinking about nothing but Jake, I had a chat with Mindy, LRSE&C co-ordinator and decided the only way to find out whether he would like to come and live with me and Gdog and Poppy was to go and meet him.

So, on Wednesday, I took Gdog and Pops and went to meet up with a friend of mine Sam, who lives near the kennels and Mindy and off we went to visit Jake in kennels near Buckingham.

Well, what can I say? It was love at first sight!! Jake came out, looking very bewildered, cloudy eye's not seeing but tail wagging and soppy Lab grin and that was it, I was smitten :love4:

Here's some pics from when we met on Wednesday.

Jake says: Gdog, who's tongue is biggest?

The handsome lad himself:

Getting to know Poppy:

Whispering sweet nothings to Poppy:

And from Friday at home, making himself comfortable:

Let's all walk around in circles!

Just before nodding off in the sunny spot:

Well, three dogs is going to be really hard work!!

Jake, aka BumpyDog is settling in really well. He's been checked over by the vet, had a bath, met the parents and getting to know some new friends. Later on he will be meeting the resident house rabbits so prepare yourself for more Adventures of Bumpy Dog !!!

Wendy x

www.lrsec.org.uk

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Wendy
How lovely, shame he was not yellow. !!!! If only people would realise that giving a home to an oldie can be so rewarding as only you know. Also you have the added problem of him being blind. I am sure the others will be his eyes,
Good luck for all you are doing in helping our dear beloved breed in Rescue that need help through no fault of their own.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi wendy,
what wonderful pictures. jake is a smasher as are the other two. i bet he allready knows what a good home he now has.
wishing you all the best with him.

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
Hi Wendy.
PRA is not nice and the kind Labradors get normally results in total blindness. Often though it is slow enough onset for a dog to start to get use to the deteriorating eyesight so adapts quite well. Obviously the upheaval into rescue would not help his confidence but at his age he is still young enough to settle in and enjoy his life.

Thank goodness PRA is not seen around anything like as often these days. There are well known lines carrying the disease and there is a book published by Dr Isabella Kraft which details them. Talking to one of the country's top canine ophthalmologists a few weeks ago and he told me that he is seeing very few cases now other that amongst the guide dog lines and that even there they now have a handle on it. Problems are rather worse in some other parts of the world so vigilance is needed if importing a dog!

Regards, John

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Wendy,

Jake looks lovely, I'm so pleased he has found a new home and has settled in well. :D Hope the meeting with the bunnies goes well. :D

Cristina

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much to report from the bunny introduction, I'm afraid! The rabbits stayed in their cage, and Jake slept :twisted:

And just because he's so handsome, here's another snap :D

Wendy x

www.lrsec.org.uk

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Wendy,

Have just been looking at the lovely photos of Jake, and am so happy to hear he has found a nice new home with you. He looks like he has settled in really well in his pics, and made himself quite at home! Bless him.

Well done for all your efforts with Jake, and for giving him a great future ahead. I wish you all the best with him, and look forward to hearing more about him as time goes by.

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi wendy

i can only say what the others have said them pictures are really lovely he looks very well and settled..lol..there should be more ppl that rescue dogs of any breed as they can give so much:)
good luck in the future with all 3 of your labs and the bunnys will get on fine with him..lol.. :)

just love them pics :):)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
hi wendy,he is so lovelly and they all look as if they have been to-gether for ever,i am glad that he has found such a loving home well all 3 of them have really,so good luck and keep us posted with some more pics,take care,lynne + dylan,

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Wendy,

How's the gorgeous Jake doing?

Hope he has settled in well to his new home, and all is going ok for you all.

Julie

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Wendy

Welcome to you and your lovely labs. Jake is such a lucky boy!

Wishing you all the best and look forward to hearing more about your gorgeous lab family in the future.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Wendy
I have read how Jake is doing on another site. Maybe some of our members do not go into the other site, so please let them know how he is. Best Regards Meg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts