Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have someone who sees Sonny every weekend; either at mine or their house but usually alternate weeks.

At the moment they have really bad sinusitis symptoms which they haven't experienced in the past before. So bad the nose is totally blocked and the feeling that they can't breath. Also at times the look like they have puffy black eyes because sinus is blocked.

This has been an ongoing problem for months but can't remember when it started but funnily enough it's def been way before Xmas when I got Sonny actually.

The doctors have put it down to colds then sinusitis and have been through a varsity if anti biotics, anti histimines, sprays rycycle but now eventually got a referral to ENT.

But the worry is they are allergic to dogs despite been about dogs in the past.

My question is though if you were allergic to dogs and you only seen them or him at the weekend .... Would the symptoms not die down and calm during the week and flare only around him ???

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Take some pyriton or anti-histamine would be my advice to see if it aids symptoms at all over a week.
I think I would expect symptoms to subside. People who visit me that are mildly allergic tend to sneeze within hour of arrival and stop once they leave.

I do know of a little boy who turned out to be allergic to animal fur, I offered to rehome their lovely dog but no chance!! They worked out a way of coping! The little lead would snore like a trouper and constantly had a blocked nose before diagnosed.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Allergies vary in how they present themselves but it would make me question whether the link was the dog if the symptoms didn't subside in between visits. You do mention though that sometimes the visits are at the sinusitis sufferers house so its possible that the carpet is harbouring the allergen though. Myself and my son are allergic to cats and we get tight chested, puffy eyes, runny nose etc at my sister's house but we soon get better once we leave. It could trigger an asthma attack though but you don't mention asthma only the runny nose so you don't have the same worry as us there . Maybe there's something else that's triggering the reaction but because the dog is an obvious source you've missed the connection. People can also have reactions to certain flea treatments on dogs so it could be worth investigation. I would play detective and get my thinking cap on just incase there's another source. For example... You could take a certain special food for the sufferer when you visit and food allergies and cause sinusitis?

?

·
0 Posts
Different dogs cause different reactions. For example, I've two friends who are fine with GSDs and GRs, but get all tight chested and itchy around my Labs. It depends on what they are allergic to; fur, dander, saliva, etc.

I would expect an allergic reaction to die down once the allergen is removed, but allergens can be microscopic and get everywhere, so chances are they could be carrying them home with them and still being exposed to them, even while they are not with the dog.

The easiest way to find out if this is an allergy or something else is for them to take Antihistamines. If the symptoms subside while on the AHs, then it was obviously an allergic reaction.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used to be allergic to dogs. But because I love dogs so much I got one anyway and over time my symptoms (sneezing, runny eyes and nose) subsided. Now I am not allergic to dogs.

I'm afraid I sometimes suspect people who go on about their allergies as being animal dislikers. A friend of mine is allergic to cats and she really hates them. I sometimes think the two things - allergy and dislike - get mixed up in her mind.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
My husband has suffered from chest infections, catarrh, sinus problems etc since about October. I think it is a seasonal rhinitis thing probably made worse by his love of milk. I am virtually dairy free most of the time but I know when I overdo milk, cheese and chocolate I will start to suffer from sinus pain and catarrh. Milk is well known as a mucus producer.

OH is also allergic to cats, even just sitting next to someone who has a cat or using a cat owner's computer can start him sniffing and sneezing. Antihistamines usually help out with that allergy though.

I use Avamys nasal spray in spring to deal with a persistent cough that I think is due to horse chestnut pollen, in the past I have coughed so much that I have damaged my rib/chest muscles. It is the only thing that works and I have tried numerous antihistamines, decongestants and nasal sprays (eg Beconase, both prescription and over the counter). http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/allergy-and-asthma/medicines/avamys-nasal-spray.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts