Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i've got myself a new camera and i'm looking at getting an additional lens and was after some recommendations?

I've seen some stunning action shots on here so thought i'd pick your brains! :D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
As bright a lens as you can afford, I would say. Makes it much easier to get pics at high speed. Also, a zoom would be useful, but don't sacrifice brightness for closeness as when taking pics you can always walk forward a bit but can't improve the available light :)

I use an 18-50mm lens on my Pentax K10, which I think is equivalent to 28-80 ish in old terms :) It's good enough, but I did buy a Sigma so that I didn't have to pay a daft price for something a bit brighter than the usual bundled lens.

Sadly it doesn't get out often enough.... :(

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
For action dog photography, Ian is correct, the 70-200 mm f2.8 lens is the choice of the experts but comes at a price and is also very heavy and difficult to handle. You will need good light conditions, but I think the best compromise are slower f4.5 - 5.6 70-300 mm lenses which are light, so you can carry them all day and you can get some great shots with them.

John

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Got to agree with all that's been said.

I'd love a Canon 70-200 f2.8, but they're expensive and heavy, so I use a Sigma 70-300, cost a fraction of the Canon, but it's good enough for me.

The only problem I find with it is the lack of wide angle, which can be a pain if you are just using one lens.

This one has been recommended in a couple of magazines, Tamron 18-250 Di-II, well worth a look.

Andrew

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
My action shots involve a ball/airkong rather than a bird/dummy, but what is your budget roughly Sam?

I would agree with the comments re the Canon 70-200 f2.8 (and I'd go for IS) but it's not cheap and I will be needing a big injection of money before I am in the position to buy it. Plus it is rather large and heavy I gather - and I'm not sure it'd fit in my oh-so-handy camera bag!

I went for the 70-200 f4 which is smaller and lighter and fab and was quite a bit cheaper too. I don't work my dogs so don't use it in that situation but it tends to be the lens which sits on my camera when out dog walking, both for still and action shots.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
8O 8O
I have been bought a Nikon D60 and am rubbish with it.

Some of my pictures are blurred.....as I do not get the correct setting and I do not understand all the settings.

Can anyone recommend a magazine that explains it in 'Noddies' guide??

I too am looking at a better lense.

Hayley x

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've been v v bad and used the last of my Christmas money and brought this one
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
its got good reviews for its price and a tipa award.

now need to get snapping! :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p.s frilly - you've got the water captured really well there :D just a little soft on focus.
i tend to use a continuous shoot mode when the dogs are running about. i can be difficult when they are moving so much to get them totally in focus.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
we are now all sat back waiting for your first set of pictures.!!!!

Andrew
Andrew you may be disappointed in the first professional shots have booked Sam to take pics of a lovely back 'showbred' lab ,which may not be the action shots you have in mind :lol:

Unless she gets some good shots of her lovely 'fox red' in action before hand :wink:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
"Showbed", now there's a Freudian slip if ever there was one Marie!!!

I'm sure the pics of your dogs will be fine, and I look forward to seeing them.

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts