Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share something i've been looking into for quite a few years now in some way or another.

The course tends to run that we purchase our puppy/keep from a litter, and worming has taken place at 2/4/6 weeks...with the next one due at 8 weeks - the next due at 10 weeks.

So as a buyer/owner we take our pup to the vets in the first week for his first innoculation, and rightly so. He has probably been with us only between 1 and 5 days tops and is adjusting to a new lifestyle, water, routine, possibly food etc etc etc.

Because wormer is due we buy it at the same time as having our first jab - again - very responsibly and correctly. Then give it that night, maybe next morning.

So in 24 hours, alongside the adjusting a puppy is doing anyway, it gets a double whammy of chemicals - innoculation number one, AND a wormer.

Countless puppies then either spend a day, sometimes longer listless, actually sick, off their food or with the runs or a combination of all of these. A puppy that was blooming often loses a little ground. A puppy that was NOT blooming can look like a toast rack.

Just as a word of caution I have watched this happen time and time again for years, and now advise VERY strongly the following:

As a breeder it makes sense to worm at 3, 5 and 7 weeks so the next wormer is not due until the 9th week so there is a weeks gap between jab and wormer.

As an OWNER, and extra week will not do a puppy any harm whatsoever to wait for its wormer, so I advise you BUY it when you go for your innoculation at 8 weeks, but GIVE it 7 days later allowing the puppy time to 'recover' from the innoculation chemicals.

Then the same again - worming is due at 11 weeks, but the second jab at 10 weeks, so you can stagger it again.

I can say that following this tiny 'tweek' we have not had an upset stomach that tends to follow the jab/wormer standard approach that had always been used.

It may be of no interest to some, but just seperating the 'doses' of chemicals can not do any harm to any new baby and will I've found usually make life easier for them at this 'adjustment' time anyway.

Di

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Thank you for that Di, it makes sense, I never liked giving my children an overload of immunisations in one go, so why do it to our puppies.
I will take your advice and worm at 9 weeks not 8 giving my mole a little time to recover between each one :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..... And I have to say from experience I have found on tablet Drontal to be far kinder on them than 3 days doses of Panacur, but thats just personal ;-)

Also remember, there is no actual need to tell your vet you won't be worming that day which they would assume. Otherwise they will probably, as professionals, advise you to do it as soon as possible. However they then don't have to mop up the sickie puppy!

Di

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Our vet won't do 1st innoculation till puppys been home 5 days & told me to give Ruby her worming tab 2 days after jab, so to not over load chemicals.
But your advice would be even better I think Thankyou :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a pleasure - I take it you are 'Bears' mum, and we met at training the other day and 'Bear' in the famous 'Bear' from Shollamy Labs?

Or have I got that all wrong?
Di

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Great advice.

Some vets are really persistent with wanting to give the wormer when they first see pup for the first vaccine, even when you say it was done at the breeder at 8 weeks so not yet due.

I know our vet said 'we'll do it again to be safe' and I said 'no we won't it was done yesterday and I saw it given so KNOW it's been done' :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I have posted on here in the past on this subject but I appreciate there are lots of new people on here now who will not have seen the post.

I have a real hang up about this and it is detailed in my puppy packs. My very first labrador Ross died after his second vaccination and wormer which were given at the same time. I had a pm done on him and they could find nothing wrong with him at all and it is my firm belief that it was purely an overdose of chemicals going into his body all at once that killed him.

This is an extreme occurence and I hope fairly rare as Di says it usually only involves sickness and runny poos but beware because the vets advise giving it all at once and I for one would never ever follow that advice.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Great advice Di. I try to avoid overloading their systems - puppy and adults - as much as possible.

I also won't use a flea treatment like Frontline at the same time as something else (but then I don't use Frontline routinely anyway). Also if you do have problems and have used more than one product at the same time, you'll struggle to know what caused the upset.

It does worry me when dogs receive various products in a very short space of time.

Jill, I'm very sorry to hear about Ross :-(

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Bearsmum sorry about that - I've been wondering for weeks! ;-)

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jill, I'm sorry to hear about Ross thats tragic. I didn't know you had also written this advice previously, I am very glad to hear we agree on this.

Worming and jabs together is SO common it just takes some times to stand back and say 'ohhhh, now, I think there might be a reason all these healthy pups go squitty in their first week and THIS can't be helping...'

Di

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
djm said:
good advice :D i always wondered about the double whammy on wormer and jab :D
Maisie was wormed just before she left anyway :wink:

the litter were done at 3½, 5½ and 7½ weeks, and we didn't have a squidgy butt between them throughout the 8 weeks :D

My vet NEVER advises me to worm when I take them for vacs, but to worm at 12 weeks - maybe everyone differs :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi thanks for brill advice it came just in time as Holly is booked in for her 1st injection on 31st and will probably get worming meds at same time so i will hold off for a couple of days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts