Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello....Just wondered if anyone could help me....my golden lab " alfie" is 7 months old...today he's at the vets getting his hips x-rayed...limps occassionally when he's been asleep or for a walk...(another story) we'll at the moment we are feeding him bakers complete puppy....before when we collected him from the breeder he was on iams puppy/juniorlarge....but after a while he stopped eating and seemed bored with the chicken flavour,anyhow bakers seemed to make him hypo...so we changed back to iams (much to alfies disgust) and now when he could possible have a problem (maybe i am jumping the gun here) what food would you suggest....also at what age can i give him adult mix....a total novice here, but best afternoons work finding this site...its excellant and when i posted before people were very helpful and reasuring...thanks barnsie.

·
Registered
880 Posts
bakers is quite unhealthy i think it has a lot of colourants and things, which although means they eat it with gusto it isnt paticularly good for them hence the hyperness, if your going to change food you could probably change to adult food too now. Other users of the forum have tried Autarky or Burns or probably the most well known is James Wellbeloved.
I'm sure you'll be able to find something to suit alfie.
Anna

·
Administrator
20,783 Posts
I agree with Anna, I would change to adult now. I like to get mine onto adult by 6 months old which is around here you are at now. Anny of the foods Anna is talking about are good. I would decide on one and mix a little with the Iams, gradually increasing the new and cutting back on the old so the change is phased in over a couple of weeks.

Regards, John

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks anna and john...by the way john have just been to collect alfie from the vets (hip x-ray) and nothing at all shows up??? although the orthopedic man graham oliver is away and is going to look at them when he gets back....but there is nothing obvious....no loose cartilege or hip displacement....they have said that maybe re-xray in one months time...feel please but will feel better after graham has looked....thanks very much for the food tips...will get him sorted....barnsie...

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello anna and barnsie

I would strongly recommend not changing food untill the puppy is well over 1 year old because the bones havent stopped developing until that age. Ive been keeping labs for well over 6 years now and all of mine have not been changed over before then, and I do not have any problems because of it. lol :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have to agree with John, I prefer to change around 6/7 months. I'm not a huge fan of these large breed puppy foods, and prefer to get them on the lower protein adult food sooner rather than later.
Having said that, probably more important than when to change from puppy to adult food is that you do not overfeed and keep him on the lean side.
regards
Jenny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, I agree with Anna, John and Lablover about when to change food over to adult - we switched Charlie over when he was between 6/7 months very gradually and we vey quickly noticed that he stopped being a hyper young pup but he changed into a lovely young labrador! We did however mess it up a bit because we fed Charlie too much (he used to eat Chappie) so he did put on weight quite rapidly, but now he is eating Burns and Naturediet he has lost 2 kgs and weighs a nice healthy 29.5 kgs and looks very good on it.

Sarah

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we went shopping last night and bought john wellbeloved lamb and kibble...mixing it will his iams and he has eaten his breakie so fast we thought he might be sick...silly thing to think really he is a lab after all....emailed j.wellbeloved and they have posted me a measuring cup....thank you all for your help...although alfie was in kennels at the weekend and he does seem to have a tummy upset...hes very loose although seems really happy in himself...are we doing right changing his food again...kennels said they had correct food for alfie but had actually fed him different...hence the upset tummy....this won't happen again hes going to another kennels in 2 weeks and we are taking his food with him...we are learning the hard way..going to a kennels which is cheaper and the vet recommended...see expensive isn't always best...any tips on sorting tummy problem will be gratefully and i mean GRATEFULLY received.. keren.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree with changing the food from high protein on to lower Adult sooner rather than later. A Few years ago it used to be change to Junior then adult but now the thinking is straight on to Adult because of the fast growth .
As regards upset tummy Live natural yogurt is very good. Or make up a portion of Smash or the like that usually helps to bind the tummy. Glad to hear about the hips, but did they check the elbows and the hocks and the stifles. Good luck Meg

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks meg yes they checked the lot....yesterday we had a very bleary eyed dog who wanted alot of cuggles off everyone but me!!!! and today alfie the terror has returned....hes trying hard to make up for yesterday....at the moment hes taking washing out of the basket and running around dragging it on the floor....and I thought dogs were easier than children.....am I totally insaine or what....school holidays are so difficult...although the boys are being really good watching animal park.... will try the yogurt later thanks keren.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts