Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfie first came into our lives at the end of December 2003. Andrea & me had decided that we would like a dog & we both agreed on a black Labrador.

We both fell for Alfie when we frist saw him. He was the one for us. It wasn't to be plain sailing to begin with though. The first time we took him home he was not very well. He was sick & didn't seem to want to move. I rang the kennels & Andrea & my Dad took him back (I was at work!).

It seems that he had had a reaction to his jabs & would have to go to the vets for a couple of days. It then turned out that he was very poorly & that he would have to be put down if he didn't improve. I was at work when Andrea text me to let me know that he was going to be put down at 1600hrs that day. The time came & went & I had a lump in my throat when 1600hrs came. The drive home was terrible wondering what state Andrea was going to be in. I walked through the door to be met by a happy smiling Andrea. She had lit candles & said prayers as had other people. She had just had a call to say that Alfie had pulled through

The next few months passed without a hitch. Alfie would be out walking every time I was on my four days off. Cusworth Hall for a short walk & upto 8 mile walks around Clumber Park.

It was during a walk at Clumber that we had our first insight into the fact that Alfie may not be well. He collapsed & had a fit. Andrea & me were both panicking & luckily a passer by stopped & offered us a lift to a local vet. By the time we got to the vet Alfie had come round & was none the worse for wear. The vet gave him a tablet & told us that there was nothing we could do but moniter the frequency of his fits.

We went upto Scotland at the end of June. We chose a self catering cottage that accepted pets so that we could all get away. Whilst up there Alfie had another fit but this time he did not pull through.

He will be sadly missed & he will be in our hearts forever.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Really sorry to hear about Alfie,. he looks like our Bradley, its heartbreaking to think of Bradley leaving us so you must have been devastated :(

Well at least you now have Kane for company and he looks a bouncy lad

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
What a lovely picture of Alfie. Thanks for sharing your story with us Kanesdad. I'm sure he bought light to your lives. I'm sure you will never forget him. Our best wishes to you and your family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts