Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occassionally Winston (nearly 8m old) goes a bit loopy on his walk - I would describe it similar to the famous "bum tucking" and then likes to jump up and throw himself at me - on occassion even giving me a quick nip on the arm in what seems to be an aggressive act of trying to get rid of excessive energy and trying to show dominance. He has been on medication for an infection and get the feeling not sleeping well at night and also I think we going through the "puberty" phase.

When it happens I usually try to stop him and turn my back on him and tell him in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable. He does eventually calm down and then carry on walking normally but I will not tolerate the aggression and want to stop it before it comes an issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and can offer any advice on how best to handle it?

Thanks

Darren

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Stanley used to do this, around that age. Particularly when pavement walking, he would suddenly get all excited and jump up at me, nipping my arms and going generally a bit loopy.

You could try letting Winston carry something in his mouth when he's walking, to take his mind off jumping up you.

I would say when you're turning you back, fold your arms and be calm; don't shout/speak/verbally tell Winston off, as I think this just adds to the excitement. Just completely ignore him until he calms down. Or you could try calmly turning around and walking in the opposite direction so he loses his focus. You could also try diverting his attention with a tennis ball, calming bouncing it on the pavement so his focus moves away from you and making him sit.

In my opinion, I wouldn't call this behaviour aggressive in a dog of this age, he's just trying it on. He will grow out of it. good luck!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I agree with Triona, its not aggression nor is he trying to be dominant, he`s just being an 8 month old pup and is full of himself :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
mine is doing this now too and he is 7 months. A big stick in his mouth helps while walking, because he is some what distracted. If there is no stick in his mouth, he jumps and tries to bite my hands. It is not agression, it is more like play biting... I think it is puberty and I can not wait till he grows out of it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts