Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, we have a 5 month old choc lab, and she has been a handful since we got her at 8 week, she has always been a constant mouther, over excitable, and has drawn blood on a few occasions, including a long gash on my husbands finger.
She had started to calm down a little in the house and had nearly stopped mouthing me altogether,although she was still constantly biting my husband. but the garden is different, and today it took a turn for the worse. Today she showed signs of aggression all of a sudden when my husband was giving her some water and some basic training, she flew at him, ripping his shirt, and her hackles were up , and the growl was also aggressive.
He had to think quick and pin her down, but she was still showing signs of aggression snarling and growling,and her hackles were still up and she was still trying to bite him whilst pinned down.
He held her there for a few moments then managed to put her in her crate, where she still is now.

We have been shocked by her sudden aggression, and really dont know what to do next, as we have a 6 year old son and of course he is paramount in our concerns.

We are reaching the end of our tether with her, in other respects she is good, house training, sleeping at night, but the constant biting that has now turned to aggression at such a young age, has made us very wary of her.

Does anyone have any advice for us? would a dog trainer be able to help? we cannot risk her being aggressive to the children, and we generally have to keep them apart as she bites them all the time.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Is she in any pain at the moment? or coming towards a season?

Can you describe what was going on immediatly prior to the episode happening, and how the episode occured.

Rarely would a dog just choose to be aggresive out of the blue for no reason. It might help people to advise you better if they had a better description of what happened.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
for me it sounds like, she is the one....
and nobody told her the place she deserves...
probably with a mixture of been bored

but it just sounds like...
i would go to somebody who has an eye for dogs...
and come also into the house to give advices

evelyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for the replies. At the time this happened, my husband was in the garden with her, filled up her water bowl, and told her to sit as she was jumping up him trying to mouth his hand, then she just flipped, ran round the garden like a loony, ran back to him and showed the aggression that we had never seen before.

She knows her place with us, especially with me, and can be obedient , but this time she seemed out of control and I think that is what scared us.

Do you think a behaviourist could help? we would like to knock this on the head before it happens again, she has her daily mental five minutes but never before has it followed with aggression, mouthing yes.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Are you still in contact with her breeder? If I have any worries or problems with Dyl that is my first port of call.

If that isn't feasible or breeder isn't interested in helping you then I definitely would contact a behaviourist. As Evelyn says one that will come to you at home would be best :D.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Ok i don't want to say you shouldn't be concerned but i've read this and it sounds as though she was getting told off, she didn't like it, went into a mad 5 minutes, came back at your husband, maybe she caught him wrong and ripped the shirt etc but when she was then pinned down, whilst already mega hyped up and then gets pinned down, she's then scared and probably had little control over the growling etc.

coal could be like this when he was a pup and often had his hackles up due to excitement and not aggression - still does when excited.

If i was pinned down whilst that hyped up, i'd fight back too.

just my thoughts.

i'd find a good trainer and spend freq short training sessions tiring her puppy brain out.
i may be naive but i don't think a 5 month old puppy could show true aggression out of the blue

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I didn't really want to judge the situation without having seen it, but I must agree Sam, that's how it sounds to me too :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He only pinned her down AFTER she flew at him and growled with her hackles up, it was just to try and get control of the situation, because she flew back again for him.

He then managed to get hold of her collar and place her in her crate.

He had done nothing for her to get aggressive about, he just filled her water up and asked her to sit, that is why we were concerned , he did nothing to antagonise her, it was out of the blue.

Hubby thinks we should forget about it now, but I really do think we need to have a beviourist give her the once over.

Thankyou all for the imput :)Its nice to be able to share a problem here !

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I was thinking the EXACT same thing as Sam.
I wasn't there, I didn't witness it, so I can't comment, but I do know that Ozzie, when he was a pup, often had a "bum tuck run" after being told off. Have you got any friends with labs who are experienced dog owners, who are "wise and sage" individuals, who you could have a chat with, and ask them if they've had any similar experiences?

Vegas gets his hackles up all the time, it's an excitement thing, not an agression thing with him, he's the most peaceful little soul - but hear him playing with his brother or his best mate, and it sounds so ferocious, like they're going to kill each other - but it's just how puppies play.

True agression would be a very rare thing to see in a normal well-treated (e.g. not abused) pup of that age.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
It does sound like she was hyper wound up... then bum tucked round the garden and lashed out. Not convinced it was aggressive, but then we didn't see her so its very hard to say.

Evelyn may be on to something, she could well be bored and trying to make her own fun.

Getting a bit firmer, getting to obedience classes and re-affirming that you, your husband AND your son are to be obeyed and that you won't accept unruly behaviour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am new to all this puppy thing you see,lol I have only ever kept fully grown dogs, so we are still learning.She is now calm, after I have walked her, all sleepy and looking like an angel,lol

I think it shocked us as her hackles went up with the growling and lunging.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I know he pinned her down after she flew at him but i think she was hyped up, over excited, didn't want to sit, knew she'd get told off and jumped up at him.

Coal when he was a pup would have total flip outs, jump up and try and bite your elbows when you turned your back on him, hackles up going mad. We took advise on here, stepped up his training - taught him loads of things and learnt to predict the signs of an approaching mad mental moment! We'd head it off with putting him in the crate or kitchen and giving him a kong - 9 times out of 1o he'd eat that and then sleep :roll:

it must have been worrying at the time tho - been there. hugs

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
like the others have said, the hackles and growling aren't in agression all the time. Its just pure adrenaline.

My yellow boy is the worlds worst for it! All the way down the back!!

She has misinterpreted his tone of voice as excitement and hared of round to burn the energy. When she's come back round, she's bounced at him in play. I see this on a daily basis with my two dogs. Pasco is one to snarl his lip back and bounce and snap back and forward at Hudson. Its just play.

What gives it away is the mad haring round.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
loulou2009 said:
He only pinned her down AFTER she flew at him and growled with her hackles up, it was just to try and get control of the situation, because she flew back again for him.
Again, I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, but often a 5 month old lab pup's version of a game doesn't quite look the same to a human who's not been clued up on the rules of said game...

My Ozzie was a nightmare pup, and many's the time he flew towards us barking and snapping - but to him, it was all a game, and nothing for us to take seriously. I'd just stand up, cross my arms, and turn my back to him - he would quickly sit down and wag his tail, looking at me expectantly... waiting for me to change the game to something more gentle which he'd be allowed to play :)

Do you go to puppy training classes with her? If so, I'd be inclined to ask your puppy trainer's opinion, they would "know" her a lot better than us. And if you don't already go to classes, they are a great idea, you really should see if you can find some locally.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
_Sam_ said:
i'd find a good trainer and spend freq short training sessions tiring her puppy brain out.
i may be naive but i don't think a 5 month old puppy could show true aggression out of the blue
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
so i think

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou all for the posts, she isnt in training clasees yet, not til Sept as there were no spaces left for her.

You have all put my mind at rest, thankyou all once agin for the advice :)

We thought we had a 'CUJO' on our hands,lol

It can be hard, this bringing up a pup, cant it!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
it can! been there got the tee shirt :lol: it does get better, i promise. Coal is now a darling and will be 3 soon

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I totally agree with what Sam and others have said. Is that sort of behaviour in a 5 month old pup, really 'aggression'? It sounds to me like over excitement too, and maybe you mistook her body language for something more sinister. It's not easy bringing up a pup but you've done the right thing in coming here for guidance :) Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts