Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poppy has been agility training and she loves this more than anything else. We went regularly for a year or so until the person that gave us a lift didn't go anymore. We've done the odd bit now and again since then and she hasn't forgotten any of it. I have not long passed my driving test so will probably go regularly again as she so adores it. The dogwalk and tunnel are her favourites but she enjoys it all

Rosie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can't do agility until they are at least a year old because of their joints, but meantime get your dog as good as you can in basic obedience cos this will give you a headstart. Your body language is extremely important, for instance, even the way your shoulder is turning directs the dog. I remember once, Poppy was going ahead of me over three jumps and then had to turn right to go over another one. As she was jumping the third one I was shouting 'left, left, left' but pointing right. She did go right and the trainer said to me 'What does that teach you about your dog?' I said that she didn't know right from left' and he said that it showed she took more notice of body language than verbal commands. I have never forgotten that and it helps in all disciplines. If you would really like to do agility I'd advise you to find a local club and go and watch without your dog. You will see all the things you can teach before you actually attend, like left and right and 'touch'. I think with a lab you have to accept it is mainly for fun, not serious competition, but believe me, it IS fun!

Rosie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi RosieW

he said that it showed she took more notice of body language than verbal commands.
this is so true. And it applies to all aspects of puppy / dog training. It's one of the reasons I always recommend people go to classes. A good trainer will be watching and correcting the owner, not the dog. :)
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts