Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
something is wrong with my puppy. Most of the times she i sjust a lil puppy but sometimes she becomes really aggresive. Mostly after I force some medicine down her throat. Well that I cant help, the vets orders she has tummy infection. Once I have given her , her medicine (more like forced it to her) and i leave her , she pounces on my leg and bites really hard. Today I actually had to push her back hard and I also got angry. Just a step back from hitting her . If this continues I dont know if will be able to hold my temper. I dont know wats gotten into her but she does this at night and after having medicine and bites hurt A LOT. plz dont tell me to give her , her medicine like a game coz i have tried that and she has wised up to it. Couple of times she had it then that was it i would plya and distract and she would do everythng BUT have the medicine. Now i have to force it to her . So what to do? should I lock her in the bathroom (the one she hates) for some 5 minutes and then let her out. Some help?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi anando

i remeber you posted about your puppy biting you before and again ppl said shout NO walk awway ignore him but this is were you will see why it was so important for your puppy to stay with his mum and siblings as the mother teachers puppy how to behave and when enough is enough.

you seem to be doing the best you can at the moment frequent vet visits and such but PLEASE dont hit him after all he has had no lessons on whats good and bad all you can do is keep trying and walking away ..im not sure locking him in a room will work as whenn you lock him in he wont know why..as he bites he needs to be told NO keep on trying this poor pup needs a chance after all it wsnt his fault to be born then removed from his mum way to early :):)

GOOD LUCK KEEP GOING :):):):)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Anando,

Have you tried administering your puppy's medicine a different way, i.e. in her food? If we give our Lab any medicine of any kind, we normally put it in his food, it saves a lot of stress on ours & his part, as he just gobbles it all up, and the job is done.

Today I actually had to push her back hard and I also got angry. Just a step back from hitting her . If this continues I dont know if will be able to hold my temper.
Please, never lose your temper with a pup, infact not even with an older dog. There is usually an underlying cause or reason why they react in the way they do sometimes, but nothing would require an extreme force of discipline such as hitting, this would do nothing to help the situation except make your puppy extremely scared of you. There are many different ways of letting your puppy know they have behaved badly, or unacceptable, placing them in another room for about 5 minutes is good. When our lab used to nip as a puppy (it was never that hard to be honest) we used to hold his muzzle shut for a few seconds and tell him firmly 'no'. This worked for us, and we have never had a problem with him biting since. I'm sure other people will have some different techniques also which help, but there is always a better way to discipline your dog, other than hitting it.

If i remember rightly, your puppy left her mother at a very young age yes.... she may have difficulties in certain aspects of her behaviour, which you may discover as time goes by, but to be honest, but i'm sure with your patience, time & effort, you can help her grow into a lovely, happy & well behaved Lab.

Puppies i know, can be very hard work, but you'll soon discover the more patient you are, the more control you will have in a situation - and don't forget your puppy will sense when you're not happy, which may make the situation worse.

Please let us know how she gets on, whats her name btw?

Hope she gets better soon,

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hope this is the pup taken away at around 3 weeks? Can't remember now?

Anyway if it is, this sounds like this is the stage when mum would be teaching it that biting is not acceptable. You are just going to have to be patient (hard I know :D ) but thats what comes with taking on a pup so young. I am sure you are doing you best. I posted a reply on this link hopefully this may help :D

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-990.html

Goodluck

Cristina

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
Liquid medicines are easiest given with a plastic pipette, a thing rather like an eye dropper. Squeeze the rubber bulb then suck up a measured amount. Then, by inserting the end of the pipette between the teeth, there is a gap near the back, you can simply squirt it gently in.

Tablets are easiest given by gently opening the mouth and tossing them to the back of the mouth, then hold the head up and gently rub the throat until the puppy swallows.

Tablets can also be given with food but my dogs soon wise up to this!!

Gentle handling is so important. Remember, the puppy has no idea what and why you are doing things. All she knows is that you are putting something nasty in her mouth. Trust has to be learned, but trust destroyed by unsympathetic handling can make it almost impossibly to do anything with the puppy. Even something like a recall becomes a reason for fear because it is no longer sure what the "Hands" are going to do. Also remember, in a confrontational situation, if flight is impossible then the only option in the puppy's eyes is fight!

Think of every situation as a training situation. Every single day in the early life of a puppy I give it a quick quiet examination. Just as if I am at a show, I open my puppy's mouth and look inside, I look into the ears to make sure they are clean. I sniff them because often you can smell a problem here before you can see it. I gently look at the whites of the eyes to make sure they are not bloodshot. I pick up the feet one at a time and check the claws, including dew claws, and then lastly I run my hands all over feeling for any lumps and bumps. I never push the puppy further than it wants to go but gradually build it up over a period of days so that in two or three days it has learned that I am no threat. I always finish with plenty of fuss. My puppy learns that hands are no threat and takes mouth opening in its stride.

Calmness and quietness are the order of the day!

Regards, John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok somethings need to be straightened out.

1) yes it is the same puppy now approaching 6 1/2 weeks. how time flies.

2) the puppys name is ginger

3) its a SHE :lol:

4) thx a lot for all ur pointers , ill try my best. I am also gonna hire a trainer for her coz , she is having behaviour problems. My legs constantly hurt. She bites my ankle as hard as she can :cry:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
awwwww ginger thats a nice name thats the first time you have told us :):)

sorry for calling her a he..lol..

as for the trainer thats good you will get some valuable advice and tips from him/her 61\2 weeks wow time does fly see in no time at all hopefully all will be well with ginger after all she hasnt really had the best start in life well done ongetting her this far :):):)

good luck with the training :):)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also I am planning to administer bite inhibition rather than a total NONO . Coz the NO NO doesnt seem to be working. Might as well she learns how hard to bite than to yank my ankle out one of these days. I am scared to wear slippers and shorts . :cry:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
I know JOhn has suggested a pipette for medicine. I usually use a syringe and gently administer in the side of the mouth. You need to be very gentle, with such a young puppy. Please do not lose your temper it will only make the puppy more aggressive.
I know we keep saying this, but many of these problems come from the fact that this dear little Ginger was taken from the mother much too soon.

I must ask you whether you are sure that this puppy is a pure bred Lab. or is the Father unknown it seems so strange that a breeder would let a puppy go so young that was a planned litter. This could be important as to know what the other parent was if it is not pure bred.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
aww anando...

I agree with Julie add the medicine in her food... alternatively crush it and mix it with honey... they just lick to glory ( are you giving her doxy-1 tab)....

I know it very difficult to control our anger but trust me you will learn it... There are so many lessons our lil darlings teach us.... I'm learning and growing with frodo... I'm born again....

Good luck
Vidhya + Frodo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am also feeding her with a syringe with the needle on it. HAHA april fools :p . Well i know the technique u stated coz thats wat the vet showed me but ginger is a naughty girl. She keeps moving her head around :roll: ahh ill be so happy when itll be all over. And ya i ahve started to give her tablets in her food now :) seems to be working

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
Well i know the technique u stated coz thats wat the vet showed me but ginger is a naughty girl. She keeps moving her head around
This is where the "Examination" Techniques help so much. Whatever happens, it must never get "Confrontational" or she will start to get handshy, afraid of hands getting near her.

Remember, she is not being naughty, that is a hunam response, not a canine response. She is just trying to avoid something she does not like or understand. Quietness and calmness are the order of the day. And also remember, Everything is a training opportunity.

Regards, John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts