Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’m sure this will have been asked before, but my 10 month old puppy finished her first season 1 week ago. Tonight she has had a small amount of brown smelly discharge, should I be concerned and taking her vets tomorrow? Or is this normal 1 week after season?
She still has swollen nipples which I understand is normal at this stage, and she is eating drinking and acting normal.
Don’t want to over react but also concerned about infection

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
Pyometra is unusual after the first season, but certainly not impossible. I know of at least one bitch who had it and had to be spayed. The swollen nipples, as you say is normal, and neither the nipples or the vulva will revert to the pre season size.

Obviously I cant see the discharge, but a brown smelly discharge is very suspicious, so for safety sake I think a trip to the vet is advisable.

John :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that was what my concern was. I think I will call vets and get her in today as she needed to be weighed anyway so kill two birds. She is still normal after nights sleep and no temperature but I know it can turn quickly

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Agree with John, better safe than sorry. Get to the vets.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes got her in for this afternoon, does sound rare that’s why I thought I was over reacting but glad I have now

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Yes got her in for this afternoon, does sound rare that’s why I thought I was over reacting but glad I have now
It’s rare in girls so young but it’s not that rare. 3 out of 4 of my adult bitches have had pyo, with emergency spays. The fourth I had spayed because she was having phantom pregnancies. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah I see never had a female before, had a black lab male so this is all new to me. Trying to figure things out and not be too over protective but really glad I sought advice on here now

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
It’s rare in girls so young but it’s not that rare. 3 out of 4 of my adult bitches have had pyo, with emergency spays. The fourth I had spayed because she was having phantom pregnancies. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky.
I've only had one Nicola, but then I usually get my bitches spayed at around 5 years old. After having to have 2 spayed late in life as an emergency I now prefer to have them spayed while still relatively young. At 5 years old they throw off the effects quickly, where at 10 or 11 years old it's a lot harder on the bitch. Mandy had Pyo at 11 and Kate went Diabetic and needed spaying because the imminent season was destroying her sugar balance. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve got mine booked in to be spayed at 1 years old so 2 months after her 1st season which is the advice of my vet. Will this stop her from humping the sofa? It seems to be her favourite past time 😂

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
Will this stop her from humping the sofa?
Probably not. Humping can be a pleasurable occupation rather than a sexual thing. You can rely on spaying for no more than preventing pregnancy. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I think it has become a habit now as it gets her attention too, even if it’s unwanted attention of me telling her to leave it!

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
They can often grow out of it, spayed or no. The only time mine do it now is when in season, and annoying though that is I can understand the reason, and a sharp, "Pack it in!" normally ends it for a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes when mine does it now I tell her to not do it and she starts scratching the carpet instead sometimes which I think is transference behaviour. Will just keep my fingers crossed, although glad it is just the sofa now and not humans!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update as she has been vets. No temperature and no signs of further discharge but given an injection just in case and a follow up appointment made for tomorrow to check again. She is now running around the house with a milk bottle being chased by my 6 year old niece so I’m hoping it’s an extended first season and not Pyometra but will keep my fingers crossed

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
Whether or no you did the right thing. As the season has only just finished if a pyo then it would be likely to be an open pyo. Serious, but normally you get a warning, such as a discharge like you mention. A bit later starting and it would more likely be a closed pyo. My friend's bitch was a bit off colour one day, bit lethargic and sick a couple of times. But it was a very hot summer's day, so she put it down to the heat. She went to bed that night, and by the morning the bitch was dead! Make no mistake Pyometra is very serious! Which was why I recommended you to see your vet.

·
Administrator
20,580 Posts
I’m hoping it’s an extended first season
Bitches are strange creatures. A season, or at least the obvious part, normally last for 21 days. In actual fact it starts about a week before there are any outward signs, so it's usual to count from the first day of discharge. The earlier bit is where the hormone rush starts, so nothing to see.

When mating a bitch ovulation can vary by several days so mating can need to be anything between anywhere between day 10 from the start of discharge to day 16, with most being receptive at around day 14. (There is actually a several day window) But there are exceptions. I've known of people having to mate as early as day 5, and a friend of mine, a breeder of some of the top working Labradors, once had a bitch who she needed to mate on day 28, 7 days after the season should have been finished!!! So you can see, seasons can vary quite considerably. Luckily these days it's possible for a vet to run a progesterone test, to find the exact day to mate. I well remember one Christmas Eve, sitting on a straw bale in the Fens, in freezing fog, mating a Flatcoated Retriever by torch light for a friend! The joys of dog ownership!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes we have been told to keep a check on her during the night so she is happy she gets to sleep upstairs tonight in case any sickness or anything during the night. I’m really happy she has been given an antibiotic even if it turns out to be nothing more than the season not being over fully. Her first sign of being in season was bleeding and so I counted that as day 1 of season and it has now been 26 days since that first sign. I’m just hopeful of a good safe night and then a happy return to the vets, no raised temperature or anything. I never thought I’d be facing such worry owning a bitch dog.
Thank you for your advice as I thought I might’ve been over reacting but the vet didn’t look at me like I was an idiot and took it very serious too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts