Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone elses dog ever freaks out near a drain? (The type that are at the edge of a road, near the kerb.) Whenever we have to walk past one, he does everything he can to avoid it!

I'm not sure how long Troy has disliked them but I only really noticed it in about June. It was bin day and as the pavement was blocked with wheelie bins, there was only a narrow bit to walk on. A few that we walked past he either froze or became really giddy and pulled out onto the road. It was only when i walked back with him (to see what had set him off) that I realised it was the drains. He may have been like this before June but I just had never noticed. He has always walked on my left, but ever since I can remember, he randomly rushes infront of me and gets on my right. I always assumed it was so he could sniff the wall/garden etc. Maybe he has always tried to avoid walking past them.

A few weeks ago he even "trapped" himself between the wall and BBQ in our back garden because he wouldn't come past the small drain! He stood there for about 10 mins before I was able to entice him away with a carrot! (I have never attached a pic before, but will try to include the picture I took). I realise "drain phobia" isn't a major problem, but I just want to try and help him overcome it!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Awwwww. Poor Troy.

Funny things aren't they. Maybe he heard water in the drain one day and it spooked him. You could try just leading him past it again and again but as he's scared of the one in your garden as well I'm not sure it would help. I would just ignore him as much as possible, be firm but confident when you walk past. Just be careful he doesn't jump in the road trying to get away from the scarry drain.

Sending him lots of hugs.

Rufus is scared of our letter box- He runs and hides everytime the postman comes :oops: :oops:

Yvonne

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We go to a training class each Thursday and last week he kept refusing to sit where I wanted him to. I hadn't noticed that we were near a drain - well about 1m away (we train in an empty carpark). I mentioned it to the trainer and later in the class she got all the dogs to line up, nose to tail, and they all walked along the edge past the drains. She thought that if he was distracted by the other dogs he may not react. It didn't work! She then got a few dogs to come and sit next to the drain and fed them all treats, Troy did eventually sit near them, but only because he wanted the food :roll: He didn't look too happy about it though!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vonandruf said:
Rufus is scared of our letter box- He runs and hides everytime the postman comes :oops: :oops:

Yvonne
Troy welcomes our postman, we have to get to the post before him otherwise he has been known to eat the post. We often find shredded takeaway menus around the house :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts