Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been leaving Murphy as his puppy sitter has a broken arm quite successfully for a few hours no damage other than to his kong. Though yesterday bless him we now have a chewed skirting board and a hole in the wall even when we left a knog and other goodies to find he was on his own for 3 hours. We have been told to give him rescue remedy from Bach to calm him down and try peanut butter, is this safe, do you get sun pat stuff or doggy made stuff, and does Bach work, going to trainer on thurs for his class and will talk to her as well. We were doing so well and he seemed unbothered when we leave him and its normally only twice a week. Thanks penny

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Bach Flower Rescue Remedy is safe for both dogs an humans. A friend has used it on bitches that are being mated, and also on herself before going into the ring at Crufts! As to the advisability of using it on a regular basis, such as every day, thats another matter al together. Unfortunatly, chewing is what young Labradors do best and few of us have not lost part of our house at some time! I've lost corners of doors and twice lost the kitchen floor!

How old is Murphy, Penny?

Regards, John

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We used a separation anxiety remedy and that worked for Corbie when he was little.

We have a crate for him, so nothing gets chewed when we're not around.... well, not while he's in that, but he did put a nice little 2" x 1" hole in the wall the other day when he decided he was going to be a pain and run around with things, etc that he shouldn't have :lol:

I've tried peanut butter in a kong for Corbie but he didn't like it... fussy pup! :roll:

·
Registered
880 Posts
you can use people peanut butter although it is quite high in salt and fat, kong make a series called "kong stuff'n" of which there is a peanut butter flavour one, not got it tho, i have the liver and breath freshening ones!
Anna

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John
Murphy is 7 months old now and he had a little stage of chewing around 3/4 months for a few weeks like doors etc and that was when we were there in the house (we have boarded up the glass doors as a result). We have been warned this is the teen stage and he will forget all his training so we have placed him in a junior class.
He is really placid and well behaved, we do not crate him, tried it and he did not like it at all, I will try Bach on the days we leave him when we both have to work and see how he is

Can anyone tell me of where to purchase Kong stuffing, Murphy was chewing a Quest nylabone for his teeth and breath but somehow they upset his tummy and he was sick, probally gorging

When we leave him i follow all my trainers advice on no fussing and leave plenty to keep him busy for example stuffing bits of cheese in his calcuim bone and it takes him hours. Thanks Penny

·
Registered
6 Posts
They will chew!

Kara is now 12 months and wat about 6-10 months we lost skirting boards (15 minutes whilst I was in the garden with children) the corner of the stair carpet (husband carried tea up in the morning) and the seatbelts in the boot of the car 3 times!!!!! (We did not learn - she could get through them in about 45 seconds....) We had Kara in a crate until a month ago which cut down damage and when we had to leave her, she would just sleep. If she was left in the kitchen/family room she would sleep for an hour and then look for something to do. Kongs and chews were ok for 10 minutes but then..... If you do not have a dog in a crate I think you will just have to replace the chewed bits later :(

·
Registered
880 Posts
I was checking on Vogues insurance cert today and I notice it covers damage to your property at up to £750! If something big gets damaged it might be worth checking on their insurance!
Anna

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think that if you persevere with a crate, it saves pounds in damage. I know I have heard people say (how cruel) but it can be there little bit of safety, and saves a lot of frustration with the owners. Good luck regards Meg

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Dog crates can be a prison or a den according to how you use them. Sympathetic introduction and a dog will very soon look upon it as his very own space. Used as discipline and he will dread it.

I just got my old one out ready for my puppy when she arrives next week and Anna walked in, laid down and went to sleep! And she's not seen it for six years!

Regards, John

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think like John said, a certain amount of damage has to be anticipated when getting any new dog. Sasha was certainly no exception, but we simply replaced/renewed furniture etc when she stopped the chewing.

In Sasha's case, I wouldn't use a crate. We very nearly used one (for different reasons) during her first TPLO recovery, but as my other half pointed out, it would have just broken her spirit.

I think introduced early enough, and they know no different so they are not always seen as a cruel option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts