Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone im new here. hope you dont mind me jumping straight in for some advice. we have a pup who is 9 weeks old we collected her on saturday. took her along to the vets today to have her checked and he thinks she has a slight heart murmor. he has said that in every other way she is a healthy pup and that she may grow out of this or worse case is she has a hole in the heart and will spend the later years of life on medication. or there is the chance that she will be fine and it will never affect her. he wants to leave it a week and get another vet to see what they think. has anyone else had this problem and if so what can i expect in terms of her quality of life. any info will be much appreciated thanks

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
It's not that unusual for a puppy under stress to have a heart murmur as your vet says, he could check her next week and she will be fine. Even older dogs can develop a murmur if stressed enough. I remember a friend's Golden getting knocked down in the road. The vet had to postpone operating for 24 hours for her to stabilise.

Try not to worry at this stage, take it as it comes and wait till you know for sure what’s happening in there.

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forums Echo, I am sure you will find it enjoyable and informative....

What's your little girls name......and look forward to seeing some pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
her name is mollie and as soon as i can work the camera out i will post some pics!

im trying not to worry but easier said than done. i hope its like you said, john, and next week she will be ok.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Echo,

Welcome :) I hope you enjoy the forum!

I'm sure Mollie will be fine next week, I look forward to seeing the photos,

Good luck,

Fay

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi echo
welcome to you and little mollie. hopefully everything will be fine next week.
we are all here for a chat if you need us.
good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Echo and Mollie

I've had my pup for a short while too and you already love them sooo much and worry about everything don't you! I feel for you and your family but I'm sure the other more experienced owners are right - fingers crossed and try not to worry too much. The first few weeks are really precious with bonding with your pup so try to enjoy it too.

Keep us posted

Lucy and Mario :p

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Echo & Molly,my old lab Ben did not have a heart murmur but he did have arhythmia,too many heart beats,they can do wonders these days and Ben even had a heart biopsy at the age of 13,sadly he's no longer here,but as everyone else said it will probably be ok,so dont worry,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well molly went back to the vets yesterday and she still has the murmur but the vet is sure that it wont cause her any probs and doesn't feel there is any need for further investigation. which i'm really pleased about. thanks to everyone who replied. still trying to figure out the photos so as soon as i have i will post some!!!!

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Glad to here things are not as bad as they could have been Echo.

Did the vet give any clue about what the cause was? Cardiomyopathy is one possibility, although it's more usual in giant breeds such as Great Danes. In gundog breeds it is to be found in Golden Retrievers but less often in Labradors although it does occur from time to time. The reasons for it are not well understood at the moment but modern thinking is possible viral or parasitic infection, autoimune desease or genetic predisposition. (It appears that they are covering all bases!!!)

Regards, John

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm so very pleased everything went O.K. You can now relax a bit more and really enjoy those early months :lol:

Lucy and Mario x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I am so glad things are not as bad as you first thought. Good luck Regards Meg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts