Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first time posting on here and I hope you can help,

I got my black lab puppy Duncan in March when he was nine weeks old. In our family we have always had dogs, including a black lab when I was approx 13 with no problems.

In the last week, I have started having runny nose and feeling chesty like I have a cold. I am approx 8 weeks pregnant too, so at first thought I was just run down, however on Monday a horrible thought occured to me that I could have developed an allergy to Duncan, he is now nearly seven months old and there is no way I could bear to part with him, he is part of the family.
My Doctor said I dont have a cold and I seem to have an allergy, as to whether it is Duncan or not she couldnt say. I sobbed last night and my husband has said we will get through this and even if I have an allergy to him will keep him, he thinks the doctor should have tested me

I have the symptoms even when I am in work and not with Duncan so I wonder if it is a pet allergy or maybe Doctor has got it wrong.

Does anybody have any advice or thoughts they could offer? Being pregnant I am emotional anyway, but I just couldnt get rid of Duncan and am really worried

G

·
First of all welcome to LF and congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

I don't have any problems myself with allergies to pets but a few of my friends have allergies to pet dander and none have had to resort to rehoming their dog or cat. Obviously you have to be careful with your choice of antihistamines while pregnant but before considering that you will have to make sure that your GP tests you for allergies.

Since you've grown up with dogs - labs even - it's unlikely I think that you will have suddenly developed an allergy to Duncan, but as I'm not a doctor I couldn't say that with every confidence.

I am sure someone will arrive with more specific advice, but I felt for you so much, fretting like this. Try not to worry - the majority of allergies can be controlled! x

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I grew up with cats without any problems. In my twenties, I suddenly developed an extreme allergy to them: within minutes of entering a house where there were cats, my eyes would itch and stream, and I would have an asthmatic attack. About ten years later, the allergy went away and now I am fine with cats.

My allergy came to light when we got a kitten. Within days my symptoms emerged and after two weeks I was very ill, and we just could not have kept him.

So whether or not you can keep a pet you are allergic to does depend on the severity of your symptoms. If I were you, I would definitely go back to the GP to ask for allergy testing. Good luck, fingers crossed it isn't Dunccan, and welcome to LF and congratulations on your tiny baby.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Sam and welcome to LF, I would certainly ask the doctor for allergy testing to see if they can find out whats casuing your symptoms, its ok for doctors to say "Get rid of the dog or cat" but we don`t usually want to do that.

If it is Duncan thats the problem it may be solved by maybe hoovering more than you normally would (twice a day instead of once), it sounds as though your OH is sympathetic and maybe he`d be happy to help out as the pregnancy progresses, you`d need to liaise with your doc about what you could take while pregnant to help alleviate the symptoms :)

G

·
I will ask them for specific info and get back to you as soon as I can - hope in the meantime you find out what's causing it, it might not be your dog.

Common allergies/intolerances include pollen, dairy, wheat, house dust (not saying you don't dust btw! :lol: ) and it's worth checking, and getting a second opinion if you need to. I'm no doctor as I say, but since your GP didn't test you it could still be a lingering cold due to feeling run down. Early pregnancy takes its toll on your body, I speak from experience, and I know you will want to set your mind at rest so you can enjoy your pregnancy.

Have you changed anything in your diet recently, or washing powder/household cleaners, or do you sleep with the windows open at night (grass pollen is a big problem for some)?

If your allergy IS to Duncan, (and I will find out specifically what friends did but for now...) I know one of my friends simply takes antihistamines on a regular basis (but careful here as you're pregnant), and another found that a really good vacuum (a dyson pet one with a microfilter) did the job. You might also find a furminator useful (although your husband will have to do this if the allergy is to Duncan) as it removes excess under coat that would normally be shed.

Don't lose heart! I really would be on to your GP to make sure you get allergy tests before worrying about what to do next. Take care. x

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi there

I can definetly sympathise with this situation.
When I was about 13, I had a massive asthma attack, and ended up in hospital, due to my best friends two weimeraners - I had an allergy test done and it proved to be the dog dander.
However, up until that point, Id been round to her house since I was about 5 and never suffered.

I have also had two cats most of my life - Pepsi, 9 and Claudia, 13, and Im 22. I am also supposed to be allergic to cats - but have always been OK, with the odd swelling up of my eyes if theyve been on my bed and i rub my eyes.

I think pet allergy is a very strange thing - as I went to uni for 3 years and lived away from home - every time I did come home for a weekend or the odd couple of days, id really suffer with my asthma and end up having to have steroids etc. Now I am back home full time and am perfectly good - no chest problems, nothing.

I have also been working at a doggy day care recently, and took antihistamines as a precaution, as I was worried about my dog allergy - but Ive had no problem! Its really weird.

Now Ive had Casper - ive been keeping uptodate with my inhalers and took a few antihistamines here and there, but again, Ive had no issue.

I believe allergies come and go, so I wouldnt worry about having to give the dog away - if you do take antihistamines, that are OK whilst pregnant, you should be fine - and airate all the rooms by keeping windows open.

Ive never had to get rid of an animal, so as long as you manage the allergy, you can live with your dog no problem :eek:)

(sorry to have babbled on!!!)

x

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
If it is being caused by Duncan you could look at something like petal cleanse (though please check about pregnancy as I couldn't see it mentioned). It's a product you apply to the dog once a week, doesn't seem too expensive to use for just one dog and you can buy it online from various places including:
http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/products/petalcleanse.php

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hi,

I suffer from allergies to both cats and dogs. Cats more so. But, I have 2 cats, a dog, and soon another dog. Sometimes it's worse than others. Particular cats seem worse.

I grew up with cats, and there were lots of dogs in the family (just not my own family home as my sister is VERY allergic to dogs - hospital case) and was fine.

My troubles started when I moved away to uni and seemed to lose my tolerance. Looking back though, I always felt a bit 'bunged up' and had a drippy nose.... I just thought that was normal, and the way everyone felt. My childhood cat died while I was at uni, and my parents got a new kitten. OMG, I couldn't even be in the same room as that cat, my chest tightened and I could barely breathe. Later on I got my own place and my own cats. Getting used to them took time. I took over-the-counter anti-histimines, and eventually went to my GP and asked for an inhaler as it was the tight chest that was worse than anything.

The bit that stood out for me from your post was that you still have the symptoms even when not around the dog. With my cats, I'd still feel horrendous some time after leaving the house, but usually when I got to work I was ok (so say after an hour driving to work). I would've thought your symptoms would improve when you weren't around the thing that was causing your allergies (although maybe not, I don't know a lot about allergies). On the other hand, my sister's allergy to dogs is so severe that she can feel rotten for days after only spending 5 mins in a confined space with a dog.

Anyway, over time my tolerance just increased and now I'm fine. I do occasionally get a bit wheezy, but my inhaler sorts that out (I'm definitely not asthmatic). I hoover regularly, but not every day, and make sure I wash my pets bedding and groom them regularly. I absolutely don't let the dog on my bed - but that wasn't really for allergy reasons, more because I just didn't want her on my bed really.

Hopefully an allery test will shed more light on things for you; but I imagine there will be plenty that can be done to enable you to manage your allergy and still keep your dog. I think allergies to dogs that are as extreme as my sister's are pretty rare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thank you for all your replies, you have been so helpful thank you all so much

I ordered last night off Ebay in a panic something called allergen D I think which is supposed to help with Dander allergies. and I have bought a grooming brush similar to a furminator but have never had any problems grooming him, such as feeling sneezy etc but I am now planning to buy a furminator to help as well but will get either a face mask or get my husband to use!

I am praying it is a cold as I have been feelling horrible all day in work but improved a little to how I felt the last few days.

Your all so kind again any other hints you have I would welcome, and I will post some pictures of him tonight when I get home from work so you can see him! You will undertsgand (sure you do already as dog owners) how I could not bear to part with him, he is just adorable although tests my patience some times he is going through his teenage years at the moment I think!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meet Duncan, my little heartbreaker

these were took a couple of months ago so he is a bit bigger now

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Awww Duncan is gorgeous, have to say it does sound as though you may have something other than an allergy specially as you`ve been feeling rough at work too.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hello and welcome to LF

For the first time this year I have had hayfever, I am 27 (28 next week 8O ) which can develop at any time during your life but my age is quite common (I work at a GP's so asked their advice)

Just wondering if this could be the same for you??

Be careful taking any anti-histamine in pregnancy, get it prescribed by your GP or through your midwife :D

My husband can sometimes get itchy eyes if he strokes Bailey and then rubs his eyes :roll: , so because of this Bailey is not allowed upstairs in our house, and I regulary brush & hoover

Duncan is gorgeous :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Duncan is beautiful! Love the name too. I think other people have probably offered more helpful advice than I can as I don't know very much about this, but I do know that my friend's Dad was very allergic to a lot of things, including cats. When she was little a stray cat 'adopted' her family and both her, her sister and her Mum persuaded him to let the cat stay (probably anything for a quiet life!). His symptoms did fade after time and the cat lived with them for over 16 years. Not sure if that is a helpful story or not but, like others have said, I think allergies are complex things and having to give up your pet is not necessarily the only answer. I can't imagine how awful it must be for you thinking about that, so I hope it doesn't come to that. And congratulations on the baby x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts