Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am willing to plead a lot of ignorance in 'khaki' related areas so please be gentle with me.

I'm walking Luna well out of the way of other doggies at the moment and I have a vast number of fields out the back of the house that are thankfully offering their services. I met a local chap last weekend (I'm new to area and owning a dog in rural area!) and was asking about walks and the farmer who owns the land. He informed me that farmer has no problems with dog walkers on his land, there are lots of footpaths crisscrossing. His only problem is if the birds are disturbed in the beating areas. So on leashed walks this week have identified beating areas (Luna hasn't been interested in outing the birds! Hasn't experienced that pleasure!) and because the shooting is due to begin soon have gone in opposite direction this weekend just in case.

My questions:
Will it be obvious that shooting/beating will be taking place to me who is near the areas daily? Cars? Barking etc?

Are areas marked out at all? I have noticed some smallish kite like material, weighted down things appearing recently in various areas. Are these showing that areas are being prepared?

What time does beating/shooting generally start in the day? And is it always weekends? I'm walking Luna as early as poss at the moment as she could be in season and so far have managed to avoid other dogs; however, I don't want to cause chaos walking an in-season dog around a working dog area a day prior to them working. (This is why I had her spayed in the first place - grrrrr!)

I haven't been able to find anyone locally who can help me answer questions so I thought I'd tap into the expertise on here! I'm hoping I could be close enough in the house to notice beating/shooting activity when it starts as would love to watch proper dogs in action if they'll let me! It is what Luna was bred to do so.... !!!!

Thanks for your patience and any help!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You may well see various cars/4x4’s parked in the Farmer’s yard etc on the day of the Shoot or even traversing across the farm land during the day carrying beater’s, Gun’s (the term for those that shoot) and those that pick up etc. So you could well see and hear an increase in traffic.

Regardless, your Farmer should put out a sign saying Shooting in Progress on the day.

Generally speaking people gather at around 9am ish and then move off at around 9:30am ish. The day ends at around 3:30-4pm ish (note the ‘ish’ as I know some that don’t start until 10am for example and finish a little later). So it is a whole day event.

Many Shoots, particularly the smaller ones, shoot on a Saturday only and some others possibly one day during the week such as a Wednesday. So don’t rely on them always being on a Saturday, although that is quite common. I know some bigger Shoots (very big) round us pretty much shoot five days of the week! Sunday you’re safe ;-)

I’m not sure about the kite like material which is weighted down. The only thing I can think of is sewelling. Maybe someone else here will know?

It’s going to be very hard for you to find out on your own in advance where the Drives (the direction/lines beaters take when they are driving the birds to the Guns) are I think, unless someone local can tell you.

If you are interested at all, I think I’d be knocking on the farmers door and introducing myself as a friendly local. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem explaining what we are up to on our Shoot to a local, interested resident and in fact would be quite happy for someone to join us for part or all of the day to see what it’s all about. Better than trying to steal a glance out of your window ;-)

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sooo much for your reply! I think paying a visit to farmer is the way ahead - just have to identify which farm it is!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts