Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hellow every one i need some advise sally was diagnosed wiyh a torn ligament a few months ago i put her on syn flex and got her a bio flow collerbecause she couldnt take the metacam after lots of rest she seems to be on the mend she still limps but not as bad and she tends to sit down alot when we are out she is desperate for me to throw her ball this morning she ran after a rabbitshe is a lot slower than she was she will be 8 this year i really could do with some imfo or advice she is the light of my life and we all love her so much suzy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

I really do advise to restrict her exercise until told otherwise by your vet.As hard as it is to deny her her fun, you will be doing right by her in the long run. About 20 years ago I had a Weimaraner with the same problem. He had no off lead exercise for months and was getting better, then he got loose and had a short game with another dog and undid all the work. The vet advised having an operation to repair the ligament. His liver did not cope with the anaesthetic and he died a week later. I know this is the worst case scenario, but don't take risks with your beloved dog. Keep her mentally active instead. Hide some of her food ration around the house or use it to stuff a kong. I think its a case of being 'cruel' to be kind.

Rosie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi I have to agree with RosieW - restrict the exercise until given the all clear from your vet.
I know they can climb the walls when they don't get exercise, but I've always found mental exercise/stimulation tires them out more than physical exercise anyway. Clicker training would be great in this situation to get her thinking and hiding objects for her to find.
HTH and hope she improves soon :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sallys exercise

thank you so much for the advice every one like you say you have to be cruel to be kind i will play with her in doors she has lots of toys that i can keep her mmentaly happy somtimes she looks so deepressed and lys in her bed alot she eats normaly and looks well but like i said she seems deepressed i read some where in the forums about devils claw for pain relieve does anyone know anything about it thanks again for your help suzy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts