Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 9 month old black Labrador dog (M).
He's generally well behaved (I think) for a dog of his age. He comes when you asks, sits, walks to heel, behaves around food (mostly!) And seldom jumps up at people.
My main issue is that if he sees another dog on a walk (when off the lead in Thetford forest etc) he runs off to play with it. Often this isn't a problem as the other dog owners understand he's young, playful and means no harm. However, occasionally, including today, a really aggressive dog owner kept trying to kick him and even threw his bottle of water (full) at him.
We try and keep and eye out and get him on a lead before this happens, and also even quite often when he does see a dog, he comes back before he decides to 'bolt' and play. I'm just worried now after today that someone will hurt him, not understanding he's not intending on hurting anyone himself!
Thanks for considering!

·
Administrator
20,911 Posts
This is always difficult with Labradors, they are such a social breed. In the days when I ran training classes, because the dogs were use to working in company it was not so much of a problem. Now, because I have officially retired from taking classes I still occasionally invite friends to come out for a morning's training with me, as much as anything so my pups get use to working in company. Because I train my dogs as working gundogs it's essential that they will work around other dogs without rushing off to play. Right from day one I only allow my dogs to play with other dogs on my command, but going out with other people and their dogs allows me the opportunity to train for this. So If you can, find somebody with a dog as a training partner. Train a release command, a command you can use to tell your dog that it's fine for him to go play. Practise doing recalls past the other dog, sit stays together. For working gundogs we would send one dog for a retrieve while the other dog is sitting waiting for his or her turn. It's about teaching that there is a time for work and a time for play.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts