Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m new to the forum been been lurking and reading up on advice.

We picked up our 9 week old lab on Friday and when we introduced him to our 11 year old Bichon Scrappy, our new addition was super pleased to see he had a play mate. Unfortunately Scrappy was not so keen, to the point Scrappy is petrified, he’s not aggressive just bolts anytime Bertie tries to get near him. At times we have had to intervene because Scrappy gets distressed and panics, he’s given the odd little growl but he’s so nervous he has that flight action over fight.

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do? I know it’s early days but it breaks my heart seeing Scrappy so nervous, we fuss him so much but he’s even refusing to come into the room if Bert is there.

thanks

K

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Usually these things sort themselves out with time, you may need to set up a play pen so the pup can't get to your older dog, until things are a bit calmer between them. Pups can be a bit full on and for an older and smaller dog they may not (at least initially) want anything to do with the pup. One thing I would say is don't reinforce your older dog being nervous, fussing him and paying attention to him when he's worried reinforces there's something to worry about, so try not to give him the impression he should be worried about the puppy, try and be as normal as possible if that makes sense. So give him his normal fusses and attention but don't make it about the puppy being there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi
I’m new to the forum been been lurking and reading up on advice.

We picked up our 9 week old lab on Friday and when we introduced him to our 11 year old Bichon Scrappy, our new addition was super pleased to see he had a play mate. Unfortunately Scrappy was not so keen, to the point Scrappy is petrified, he’s not aggressive just bolts anytime Bertie tries to get near him. At times we have had to intervene because Scrappy gets distressed and panics, he’s given the odd little growl but he’s so nervous he has that flight action over fight.

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do? I know it’s early days but it breaks my heart seeing Scrappy so nervous, we fuss him so much but he’s even refusing to come into the room if Bert is there.

thanks

K
Hi, I think the idea of a pup play pen or stair gates to give Scrappy plenty of space from the pup s a good one. Our two older yorkies are taking a long time to accept Jas ,who is now five months, longer than I thought it would, although for some time now there has been a tolerance, and Bella forgets her prejudices and presents a united front with Jas whenever it comes to food and treats being dished out ......
It can be disheartening and you'll be wondering if you've done the right thing, but hang on in there, work on the positives, give them both lots of attention as equally as possible , keep calm so that the older dog follows your lead. I had to accept early on that they are not going to play together while Jas is so bouncy but they do play side by side - me and OH have to be Jas's play mates when she needs puppy play and walks are separate at the moment.....it will get better. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts