Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
i was hoping for some advice on dry food for my one year old black lab, Jasper.
he came to us on Iams puppy large breed and we've continued with this brand since.
Jasper is quite a character, very excitable and quite enormous (35kg at his last check). My husband and i had come to accept this as part of his personality. It does cause some issues when we have visitors over and he has knocked our 2 year old over once. He knows all basic obedience commands, comes to call, etc, however can get distracted when over exited.
my sister in law, after a recent visit, pointed out that, in her opinion, he was getting over exited/hyperactive and also questioned us what we were feeding him. As soon as we mentioned Iams, she suggested changing the food.
i will also add that he has done very well, health wise, on the iams - lovely shiny coat, clean teeth and ears and the vet was very happy with him at his recent health check.
i have done some research into iams since my sister in law mentioned it, however i find myself unable to reach a conclusion as to whether it is affecting his behaviour.
Any advice gratefully received.
Katie

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
It could be the food, some dog foods are like feeding kids exclusively on blue smarties :wink:

But regardless of what he is eating he shouldn't really be a nuisance and he certainly shouldn't be knocking kiddies over. He is still young but I just wouldn't stand for this.

I don't know a lot about IAMS dog food but suspect you could get better food for your money, so changing may well be worth a try, but what I would be changing is his over excited behaviour, then you will have a dog to be proud of when visitors call. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply.

i will certainly look into a different food, i guess he should be about ready for adult food now anyway. Can anyone recommend any brands in particular?

behaviour wise, i suppose i just thought he would settle with age. What do you suggest on this front - more basic training?

thanks Katie

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I'd certainly gradually swap him over onto adult food. Which one? Well, there's plenty to choose from, I've just googled IAMS and it seems to sell in the region of 25 quid for 12 kgs.

We feed Chapel farm 24 plus to our dogs, 21 quid for 15kgs. There is also a couple of cheaper varieties with lower protein levels which may take some bounce out of the dog.

When they were pups they were fed on Arden Grange which is a bit more expensive.

Other foods off the top of my head (or ones that I've heard recommended on here): simpsons, wainwrights, James wellbeloved, skinners, burns. There are loads more tho.

I'm not certain how you stop a jumping dog? We were lucky and our just don't. They do bark at the doorbell but I don't mind that cos I quite folks knowing we have a pair of killers lurking inside :wink:

I guess it's just a case of rewarding the behaviour you want ie 4 paws on the floor, nice and gentle and somehow stopping the unwanted behaviour :?

I'm sure this was covered recently, I'll have a search and with any luck post a link to the thread in which it was discussed, bear with...............

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
This wasn't what I was thinking about but does have some good stuff on trying to stop jumping up, I'm guessing this is what your dog is doing to visitors?

Di's post about excitement is of benefit, ignore the nonsense I posted about "dominance" I used the term mistakenly then tied myself in knots trying to explain what I actually did mean, the perils of the written word :lol:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-102626.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts