Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I haven't got my puppy yet, I get her in 4 weeks but just wanted to be prepared. I will be getting a crate for her mainly because I have 3 kids and I think she will appreciate the peace and quiet!!! Do I put her food in the crate or leave it outside? I have seen bowls that will attatch to the crate are these what I need? If her food is outside do I put some water in her crate at night time?

Also when should she first go to vet? Will I take her as soon as I get her or do I just book her in for her first injection?

Crikey, sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF :D

I too use a crate and feed my puppy inside it because that makes it there space, I would get one of the bowls that clip on for water only. Crates are great as it gives the pup somewhere to have time out from everthing when they get tired and just want time out (also saves your house being destroyed at night :roll: )

Hope someone is along with better advice in a second :D

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Hi and welcome

I've only just got my pup and she has a crate, I do feed her in there as it makes it a more friendly place for her where nice things happen - especially at first when she's not sure of it. I don't put water in tho, that is freely available for both dogs in the kitchen. :D her food bowl is just a really heavy ceramic one.

Mole is only 7 and 1/2 weeks old, so she hasn't had her first injections yet, she is booked in next week when she's 8 weeks, my vets also do a full health check at the same time. She'll then need 2nd injections at 10 weeks

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi there, button has a crate and it has been so useful , she loves it , settled into it really quickly at night time, during the day she will go there for a sleep when the kids get a bit too much for her!! they are also great for when you go out for a couple of hours, she doesnt have a chance to chew the house to bits!! a friend of mine also has a lab and she leaves her in the kitchen when she goes out...but pretty much comes home every time to find something else chewed up or ruined!!!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
loubylou1 said:
Hi,

I haven't got my puppy yet, I get her in 4 weeks but just wanted to be prepared. I will be getting a crate for her mainly because I have 3 kids and I think she will appreciate the peace and quiet!!! Do I put her food in the crate or leave it outside? I have seen bowls that will attatch to the crate are these what I need? If her food is outside do I put some water in her crate at night time?

Also when should she first go to vet? Will I take her as soon as I get her or do I just book her in for her first injection?

Crikey, sorry for so many questions.
Sorry meant to say, my vets gives first jag at 8 weeks and 2nd at 10 wees, then I could take them out after 1 week after the 2nd jag ie 11 weeks :D

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
loubylou1 said:
How old will she be when you get her? Puppies usually have their first injection around 8 weeks. We adopted our pup and the rescue had taken her for her first jab around eight weeks of age.

I took Minnie-Moo to the vets the day after we brought her home, just so she could say hello to the receptionists (who adored her and tried to steal her :lol:) and see the place after she had anything done there. That was on the Saturday and on the Monday we took her to be microchipped as I wanted that done asap. She was a very confident pup and took it all in her stride.

Definitely worth sorting out pet insurance for as soon as she comes home too - I think good breeders tend to arrange free cover for a month or so and then you can continue that policy or look for another in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
AngelaC said:
loubylou1 said:
I took Minnie-Moo to the vets the day after we brought her home, just so she could say hello to the receptionists (who adored her and tried to steal her :lol:).
Do you think that's part of the interview process for vet receptionists?

"What would you do if a client came in with a puppy?"

"Get them to put it on the desk then disappear out the back with it for 10 minutes and introduce it to everyone I can find for cuddles"

"That's the correct answer. You're hired"

Regarding Indy's crate, it's only ever been a sleeping and relaxing area. She gets fed in the kitchen but does get a treat last thing at night which she eats in her crate. She's also had stuffed Kongs during the day when we've left her for a few hours. I've never bothered with water overnight, she has free access during the day right up until bedtime and hasn't yet made straight for the water bowl of a morning, so I guess she remains adequately hydrated without needing one in there at night. I may look into getting one for the summer if it gets really hot (yeah right!!).

·
Registered
198 Posts
iv had my jess for a week and a half now and she has a crate, im using it to house train her and its working well, not had an accident in 4 days .... u must be so excited about gettin a puppy !! i have 3 kids also and its hard work sometimes but worth it - good luck :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi and welcome. I think taking the pup down to the vets is a good idea, it makes their first memory of the vets a good one where they get lots of attention and cuddles.

We got a crate for our new puppy, Lily (who is now 4 months) after our older puppy, Angel (now 1 year) snapped at her on her first night. Lily didn’t really take to her crate – I think she saw it as a prison keeping her away from anything she could get her teeth into! However Angel loves Lily’s crate! Crates are a great idea when used properly, be careful not to use it as a way of punishment as many people make this mistake! Hope everything goes well when you get her home!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankyou all for your replies.

My puppy is a chocolate lab and she will be called Bella. She will be 8 weeks when we get her. I am really excited. We are going 'puppy' shopping today.

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me and Bella.....Thankyou x

·
Registered
888 Posts
We had our puppy now for 2 weeks and she loves her crate, when she first came home we put her in for a nap she took to it straight away and is now sleeping in there all night (no wees) we feed her in the kitchen with big sis, she now puts herself in there when she is tired, it's nice and comfy with a couple of nylabones and a rope. I leave the door open for her during the day but at night she is fastened in over the new year we had company and i was worried she would be disrupted especially when she fell asleep early last night after rolling around the floor for 2hrs with my 21yr old god son but i just lifted her into the garden where she wee'd and went straight back into crate till 7.30 today. Hope this lasts
Good luck
carole

1 - 12 of 12 Posts