Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice on a 4month lab sleeping in a crate..? We have a fairly good size one (90cm length) which is recommended for labradors. He can stand and turn around in it comfortably and besides the odd groan when he is first placed inside, he is generally okay in it. The longest he is inside is overnight. Otherwise the odd hour throughout the week if I have to nip out somewhere.

Once per week he's in there for 4 hours during the day, with a short break in the middle!

We noticed today that when he lays flat, I mean stretched out, he moves all of his bedding so he can lay flat with his legs poking out of the bars at the bottom. This worries us a little in case they get trapped. We do need to crate him at the moment whilst he is unattended, due to him eating all he can in sight and for his safety whilst still young.

We're just wondering if it's fine that he stretches out with paws through the bars...or is that a sign that he needs a bigger crate? Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
208 Posts
Do you mean he's "splooting"? My lab sure does that 100% of the times he lies down and if he's comfortable in that position I'd personally seek a crate that allows him to do so without sticking his legs through the bars.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
I use a 36 inch crate for my bitches, but most people prefer a 42 inch for dogs. It gives them just that little extra room.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
I’m the same, 36” for the girls and 42” for the boy. More for the headroom than anything else though.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
208 Posts
Oh cmon quit those silly measurements and embrace the force with metric :) (and perhaps while you're at it start driving on the right side of the road!!!) :)

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
😁 Working in engineering we regularly had blueprints giving some dimensions in metric and some in imperial. To me it does not matter which system I use. BUT, driving on the left is right! (Incidentally, if you take a boat out on the river the opposite applies!!)

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
208 Posts
I'll grant you the superiority of lefthand driving, perhaps even of constitutional monarchy ;) but your measurement system is a no no :)
Not sure if this is reality or lore but I vaguely recall some aeronautical or perhaps space accident due to some engineer confusing metric and imperial.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Not sure if this is reality or lore but I vaguely recall some aeronautical or perhaps space accident due to some engineer confusing metric and imperial.
Space. It was a Mars landing that went wrong. They had some European measuring equipment, and being and measuring to the Imperial standard they interpreted meters as feet. But if you think feet and inches is bad, how would you get on with chains, poles and rods. Measurements - The University of Nottingham Or farmers counting sheep the old way. (Yan, Tan, Teddera, Peddera, Pit. (1. 2. 3. 4. 5.) My father could count in that, but I tended to get lost after 10. Yan tan tethera - Wikipedia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts