Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to awnser my post. Now ive been given a lot of advice i wanted to tell you a little more about me, i work from home and its just me and my sister jen who lives with me as she cant live on her own as she has autism and struggles on her own and mom only has a 1 bed bungalow so didnt have the space so she lives with me. Jen is looking forward to us getting a dog just as much as i am.

The lab was not our first choice we did look at the Golden retriever first but jen was not as keen on how much attention Goldens got from other people as shes uncomfortable around strangers and the breeder we were on a walk with said that labs dont get as much attention because there so common people dont bother as much and we were told by someone on a dog forum to not go for goldens as they bark more and are not quiet dogs ( i have a hearing issue and jen doesnt like a lot of noise including barking as she feels uncomfortable)

Everyone we speak too tell us that the lab is the better fit as there quieter and you wont have as many people coming upto you, especially if we get a black one as black dogs get less attention and tebd to be harder to rehome ect

Dont know if any of this is true. We were told the only down side to a lab is there coats take longer to dry than a Goldens.

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
I’m not sure about the drying thing….a lab with the correct coat is virtually dry after one good shake. I’d imagine the reverse to be true.

Reactions: 160701

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
On average, a Labrador tends to mature earlier than Goldens, (Although there are some Peter Pan's in both breeds!) Also it's generally recognised that Labradors are quicker to train. But saying that, no dog trains it's self, they all need some work on the part of the owner. Both breeds moult so the choice there is which colour carpet you have. ;)
Below is a friend of mine showing her Golden.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks john we both prefer the lab and we find black labs stunning. I also think the labs coat will be easier for us

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We dont have carpets i prefer woden floors and i mainly wear light clothing so with a black lab I'll look like a panda but i dont care it'll be worth it

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Puppies can initially have problems slipping on wood floors so it may be an idea to get hold of a few cheapie rugs from EBay or the like, to put in the well travelled area, to avoid damage to joints. Once the pup gets more control of it's legs you can throw them away, so the cheapest you can find are ideal.

I have quite a few friends in all the different retriever breeds, Flatcoated Retrievers, Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers, and to me it's Labradors every time!

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Hi and welcome, I saw your post on another forum.

Labradors vary within different lines, I have show/dual purpose lines which some would assume are all couch potatoes, but actually, at training, my youngest is like a rocket in comparison to some of the working bred pups/dogs, and, as a general rule is flat out until she's fast asleep. She loves her cuddles and plays with her mum, Grandma and my other girls beautifully, but can be a bit too enthusiastic, she's knocked me a few times and nibbled fingers. So the key is to find the parents, grandparents with the sort of temperament that will suit, and ask the breeder for help with pointing you in the right sort of pup, it's no guarantee they will be completely calm but it is the closest you'll get to the sort of pup you're after.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to let you all know after further research and discussion we have chosen the Golden we both feel they are better suited to us. Thank you to everyone for your help

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Choosing a breed is a very personal thing, something nobody can choose for you. I went through several breeds before I found Labradors. Below was my Dalmatian, seen with my father, and below that, me with a Flatcoated Retriever which I was showing in the Gamekeepers Ring at Crufts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts