Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Smudge gets sooooo excited everytime we get his collar and harness out.

Now, whilst I'm chuffed that he appreciates his walks, it makes it very difficult to put them on! He jumps around all over the place and has to be held by one of us whilst the other (normally Chris because I get a bit confused by the harness!) puts everything on.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips? There may be a time of course when I want to take him out and Chris isn't around - and then I might be a tad challenged!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi nicola,
i have the same prob with max. as soon as he see's or hears the halti he goes potty (more potty than normal that is) soooo i put the halti on the table sit myself down and totally ignore him untill he quietens down and sits nicely by my side. i then get the paw bashing and whinging so i pick up the halti at which point he starts up again, so back on the table goes the halti, ignore him again untill he is quiet then try again. when i first started to do this a couple of weeks back it could take up to half an hour to get his halti on, but a few days ago it finally clicked into his head that the he's the one that is missing out. so now after the first potty couple of mins he will normally let me put it on first time. and of course theres allways the treat and praise at the end of it :lol: hope this helps. patience IS a virtue :D

jane and max.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Nicola

I used to have this probelm with Buster and used the same technique as Jane. Now I have no trouble putting Buster's harness on at all, it does take time but you will get there in the end.

The harness's( I use a MIkki Walkrite) are fiddly and it took me a while to get the hang of it, which didn't help Buster any when in a state of excitement . I've found the easiest way to put it on is not to dismantel it when taking it off, I just undo the collar and slip Buster's legs out of the loops when taking it off, then when I have to put it on I put the collar on and slip his legs through the loops ( does that make sense ? :? ).

I would try putting the harness on Smudge whilst Chris is there to assist you ,as you said you may need to take Smudge out when Chris isn't around.( I used to put it on upside down, inside out lol )

The other thing I found I was doing wrong was getting myself ready to go out before putting Buster's harness on. Once Buster saw that I had my coat on it added to his excitement and made it all the more harder to put his harness on. Now I put his harness on and he runs around excited whilst i get my coat etc, but at least the harness is in place :) oh and I don't put his lead on until I am ready to go out the door otherwise it goes in his mouth lol.

Kev

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jane & Kev

Great advice - what would I do without all you guys at Lab Forums?! It's so good to be able to come somewhere and ask people that would be having the same problems.

I know what you mean Kev about him getting over-excited when he sees me getting my coat etc. For me, we have a shoe cupboard at the bottom of the stairs where I keep my trainers and whenever he sees me open that he goes barmy! I will try and do things in the reverse order as suggested and will try out your suggestions too Jane - sounds like the solution to me! Will let you know how I get on later!

All the best,
Nicola.

PS. Kev, how do you get that adorable puppy at the foot of your posts? And do they do one in black?!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Nicola

Glad you found the info of some use :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Remember to allow plenty of time to get Smudge ready before you go for your walk and don't give in until Smudge has shown a slight improvement .It doesn't happen overnight like everything else it all takes time, practice and patience but it's all worth it in the end :) .

I pinched the puppy off a website :oops: lol can't remember which one now it was ages ago. I haven't seen it in black but if you look around all the dog sites you might find one or something similar. I dunno if you can change this one to black, try right clicking on it and saving it and see if you can alter it ok.

Kev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts