Labradors Forums banner

Where do your dogs stay when you're on holiday?

• I take them with me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kennels.

• Doggy Hotel.

• Dog Sitter

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've only taken my lab (Bob) on holiday with me a couple of times, and when I don't he has a dog sitter to play with.

I've never considered taking him abroad and I'm always conscious of his size! These Labs aren't like toy-breeds that fit in your handbag!.

I was wondering what everybody on here does with their dogs? I'm sure we'd all agree that they're a member of the family, and sometimes they deserve a holiday too!

Am I being paranoid worrying about his size? What are your concerns when taking a lab on holiday??

I live in the city and don't know many other people with pets? Is it unusual to take bob with me?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Always take mine with me, but then again, I haven't holidayed abroad since they came home. If I did, they would stay with a home boarder that I use occasionally for day care.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No. I think lots of folks (especially here) take their dogs with them.

Now that the regulations are relaxed (rabies jab and wait 3 weeks) it isn't such a palaver.

You can go via ferry but it depends - daytime, dog stays in car whilst you go up deck. Overnight, they have kennels. Half hour in a train and stays with you in the car - no brainer.

We brought George down with us from the UK via the Chunnel - couldn't be easier. The only thing you need to arrange is tick/wormer treatment on the way back.

Just need to do your research and find a dog friendly gite/villa (assuming you are talking about going to France.)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Oh and it isn't practical always to take them, so we have a near by kennel.

Other thought - starving college student to house sit ;-)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Some friends of mine take theirs to France and they find it really good as dogs are welcome pretty much everywhere. Mine are not jabbed for rabies so I don't really know but I think it's now easier to travel as things have changed as regards timing of vet visit on the way back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses. When holidaying in the country what does everyone check for? I've found some great recommendations on the forum for places to stay. I can't take Bob anywhere without his bed, however this isn't always practical! :D

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
We have an arrangement with our friends to look after each others' as we go to places like Mexico and the USA :). Her pooch is with us now while they are in Majorca.

But we do have plans to go on a 'doggy' holiday next summer to Northumberland, near a lovely beach. I think I'm looking forward to that more than Mexico in February!

:)

C

·
0 Posts
A mixture as her breeder does home boarding. Most holidays we will take Willow with us, but sometimes she will go to home boarding to be pampered. We will be looking at getting Willow a passport next year so she can come away abroad.

For example, mostly week long holidays she will come but we do a few weekends away a year which she will go to home boarding and our honeymoon she will go to home boarding.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
mine always go with me, if I can't take them I dont go 8)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We are a mixture too, we love long hot holidays which Min would hate but her breeder has her home to stay with the family and I know I leave my baby in the very best of hands. She fits right on in with Grandma, Mum, Uncle and big sister.

However we are now on our first holiday in Cornwall with her and it will be the first of many I am sure. We do intend to get her a passport as we intend to visit France and Ireland, but I know we have to make changes to her insurance for that kind of travel.

I think for travel in this country it is quite normal to take the dogs with you.

Look forward to hearing your adventures.

Mandy

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Wherever we go, the Lab goes too.... I actually think a decent sized dog like a Lab is less likely to get trodden on or fallen over, or if they do they can take it.

Don't worry about it so and just enjoy. When we were over in France (when in between losing our last girl and before getting Cass) we actually noticed lots of air-conditioned kennels that you can put your dog in whilst at big attractions (e.g Disneyland).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
We try to bring Cooper with us, but if it's not possible, then we have a dog sitter who stays with him in our house. She brings her own dog which I'm fine with and they all have a slumber party in the living room :lol:

The longest we have left him is 4 days and longer holidays we are planning to take him with us. After a successful couple of weekends glamping, we now have a cottage booked for a week in November - eeeekkk!!

·
Premium Member
11,586 Posts
When caravanning Tara comes with us.When we go on Cruises Tara goes to Pet Carers.They look after her in their home.They love having her and she loves going there.Its always lovely to see her when we get back.

L

·
0 Posts
Charlie is in the minority as she has never been on holiday with us. She has her own holidays in the kennels (which she loves).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thor has a passport and this year we did Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Germany not bad for a 9mth old dog :D Okay we live in Nederland so it's not so difficult for us to travel around the continent..
We plan on bringing him to the UK next summer hols, he has had the rabies vaccination this year and will again, microchip is a legal requirement here and we have to do tape worm treatment 1-5 days before entering Blighty.

But as a fall back we have kennels down the road which have come highly recommended by all the random dog people I quiz during our walks !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts