Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have two labs already, Guinness who is a black lab and he's nearly 4 and Phoebe , who is a yellow lab and she is just a year old. We also have a GSD, A Newfie and a BMD. I foster for a local rescue centre who do a lot of work with Puppy farms ( unfortunatley a terrible problem here in Wales thanks to the Assembly government and their grants for diversification)..... Any way. I was asked to foster a 14 week old yellow lab that had been rescued from a puppy farm , to assess him and get him over any problems he may have.

When I went to pick him up he was a very sad little lad, he was shivering and cold and throughly depressed. Not much of a life for a pup. he has an over shot jaw, his whiskers had been burnt on one side, he'd been brunt with a cigarette on his ear, which was infected and he had a deformed front leg. He's frightened of the dark, and wont go out the front of the house at all. he will play in the garden and we have been up on the Brecon Beacons and he's played happily with my 5 others.

We've all fallen for him in a big way and we have now decided to keep him. he officially became a member of the Smtih Clan last Wednesday.. and we couldn't be happier. We have named him Diesel.

He settled in really well, he's clean and dry in the house, loves our yellow lab with a passion and is generally being a lab pup and loving life. His front leg seems to be getting a bit stronger and he isn't limping all the time. He limps more when he walks then when he runs and the deformity seems to be from what would be his wrist down.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What did you do if anything . Did the dog grow out of it or was it operated on?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tracey and the Gang

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi tracey
sorry cant give any advice but just want to say what a wonderful lot you are to give little diesel such a loving home and a fantastic chance for a good future.
WELL DONE YOU.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jane

Thanks for that. he is wonderful and I don't think anyone in their right mind could have said no to him.

He is such a character and is so settled in now, he's having a ball ripping up the newspaper on the kitchen floor.

Don't you just love lab puppies, theres nothing quite like them is there!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Tracey

Sorry no advice, but would just like to say well done for giving Diesel a home!

How anybody could burn a puppy is beyond me :-x

Kev

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't got any advice either but just wanted to say well done for giving Diesel the home he deserves. We're about to adopt a 14 week old black lab rescued from a puppy farm too, it's awful to think how many little ones like ours there must be that need good homes.

Good luck with Diesel, I hope his leg gets better soon.

Lucy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Getting a new pup is usually a time of such happiness. But I watch Diesel and I can't help but think about what they have done to him. Labs are such trusting dogs, who just adore people.. he really shouldn't have had to go through all this. I guess that really I should be happy that he lived this long with so much wrong with him. Most puppy farmers just shoot them.

Good luck with your puppy Lucy. I hope that they settle in as well as Diesel has. If there is any advice that I can give just ask. Probably the best advice would be to take each day as it comes and don't expect too much. Imagine the worse and you can only be pleasantly surprised. It's so rewarding teaching these poor little mites that people can actually love them... they give so much back to you.

Best Wishes

Tracey

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Tracey, same here, no advice on leg, but one great big pat on the back for giving him a well deserved loving home. Well done

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Hi Tracey. I have known 3 dogs who have had to have a leg removed, in most cases as a result of being hit by a car. In all cases they adapted well and still went for there walks. Front legs are not as important as hind, this is where the drive comes from. The front only really props the front of the dog up! Hence the hind is so much bigger than the front.

As to the afraid of the dark, are you sure he does not have PRA? In the earlier stages it shows as night blindness, only later going on to full blindness. I would get him checked out by an Ophthalmologist. He could be checked under the BVA/KC/ISDS eye testing scheme.

Regards, John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the comments. And to John... he is no longer afraid of the dark.. so no worries there, also his leg is getting better by the day.. so thankfully I don't think he'll have to have it amputated!

It seems that Diesels Mum had quite a large litter, he must have been in a strange position while she carried him. As unlike other pups who get the space to play and stretch and generally have a good time, this little soul has been shut up in the dark! ( hence the worry of being in the dark) and also it meant that he didn't get to stretch his muscles and ligaments etc. He has had gentle walks with the others, plenty of play time in the garden... his foot in now in the right position and he dosen't limp at all. I started to notice a change in him late last week and thought I was seeing things, after all what were the chances of this problem righting itself! To look at him now you would never believe that he ever had a problem.

He is coming on in leaps and bounds and it as happy as the day is long.

Thanks again to anyone that replied tmy post

Tracey and the Gang

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi tracey (and your gang)
i am so pleased to hear that little diesel is doing so well :D it really does show that being with loving families these sad little pups really do have an excellent chance in life. again i say well done you. please keep us up to date on diesels progress. i know im not the only one on here that will be waiting to hear his adventures :lol:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Tracy
I am so pleased to hear of your puppy's progress it is so wonderful to get news. Please keep us posted.
It is heart warming to know that there are people like you to give these poor dogs a forever home. I also followed the story of Jake on another post, a much older dog who was blind, but thankfully given a forever home by Wendy.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi tracey and gang.lol.

i can only say what everyone else has on here a huge pat on the back and keep up the wonderfull work you are doing :) :) so glad diesel has found a loving home..can there not be anything done to his previous so called owners???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts