Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all iam ashleigh from newcastle area have a young lab ella shes 9 1/2 months now with kc iamb thinking about breeding her when she's old enough pending all heath tests being fine etc , been looking on many posts on here for a while and info from various sites on the net and i no to buy the book of the bitch if i was to breed. I no there's no money in breeding and would be doing so to keep a pup if timing was right. Think there was a post from Di i cant find with cost of litter could sum1 plz link this up for me. Info with regarding suitable whelping items would be great also. What to look for in a good stud dog .

She was sold/resuced to me at 5 months very under weight (not wormed properly) and hand shy and not very well socialized at all, i have a different little girl now , not so little full of life with great manners and a really soft nature and loves other dogs so much .

Iam not to sure if she is classed as breed standard thou , i no shes 20inchs at the mo don't really understand the kc meaning aswell shes my 1st dog will post pic's to show everyone what they think in relation to standard. May like to show her if suitable.

As i didn't buy her from her breeder i have no history about any of her family but for her 5 gen cert, looked up a few in pedigree looked on kc hip, eye records to show that theres no metion of any dam or sire having tests done ??? is this common place, would love to know and of her relivites and the family history . They both state on form kc/bva schemes and dna tests .

Ella kc name is kenocto your so perfect (aj2)

Sire king top bruno
Dam kenmillix moulin rouge

I would love to attend and help out at whelping a litter for the experience at a later date but i don't no where to look to offer this help idea's plz iam really keen to learn .

this is my little girl hope it works

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hello
:)
Can i ask why you want to breed Ella?

edited to say... i'm not jumping on you or anything, i'm just wondering what your motivation behind wanting to breed is? :) :oops:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hello Ashleigh,

Welcome to LF, I don't normally meet and greet, but thought I would for you, just in case the LF Moral Majority pounce on you first!!!

Looks like you've done a good job with Ella, not sure about the wings, but that's just me, I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

There's loads of people on here who'll be able to help you.

You are years away from thinking about breeding, so you've plenty of time to get all the health checks done, don't worry about the lack of testing in the pedigree, it's Ellas' results that matter. Get these done first, then you can start thinking about stud dogs and whelping.

All the best

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Think this might be the link you were looking for, so far as costs of raising a litter are concerned:-

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-23699-cost.html+litter

As Andrew has already said, you've got plenty of time ahead of you, to look into all the implications of breeding and do your 'homework' thoroughly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Andrew :smoker: :smoker: :smoker: 8O

Got a fab picture of my girl coming out of some water...She looks like a worker!! 8O x

Not below.....That is a typical show shot :roll: x

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Thought you might have been carried away with the Christmas spirit and maybe cross posted, could n't see the relevance to the OP.

Mind you can't see the relevance of your dogs to mine either!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mellow my ass!!!!

Andrew :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PS Re your Nikon look at Photo Plus, see if they do a Nikon version of the magazine, that might help you.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You see....xx Soft at heart :wink: :wink:

PS Re your Nikon look at Photo Plus, see if they do a Nikon version of the magazine, that might help you.
Thank you, will have a look as my OH completely blurred our dogs today. Not one good picture :roll:

Went out shooting on boxing day 8O Not with 'my' dogs, though :wink: They were too busy snoozing :lol:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Morning Ashleigh,

Good on your for asking first acting later! ;-)

I have a fairly detailed sheet on what to consider before breeding from your bitch, how to go about thinking about the implications, and a guide to the basics of doing so. I would love to email it to you, can you either post your email address or send an email to me [email protected] and I will reply with it.

Something that I'm not clear about from your post however is....: You mention you 'rescued' your girl and you have her 5 generation pedigree (I think) but do you have her kennel club documentaion and in YOUR name? If you don't then you won't be able to register the puppies at the kennel club. Most responsible buyers these days have kennel club registered puppies as one of their most basic tickpoints for a litter and you will really struggle to sell unregistered pups in our breed with so many good registered litters out there.

The other thing being that most stud dog owners won't allow you to use their stud dog without her being kennel club registered in your name. Partly because we don't really want unregistered litters out there by our boys, but partly because there COULD be breeding endorsements on the dogs registration at the kennel club which we are overriding by mating her.

This all sounds a bit complex probably but basically, do you hold her kennel club registration document and has the previous owner/breeder signed her over then you transfered her to you at the kennel club?

You may have - I just wasn't clear about it from your post....

Look forward to your email for the sheets to give you a starting point to weigh this all up.
Di

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You went shooting, in East Yorkshire? Whereabouts???

Andrew
Sir Ian McDonalds.. Thorpe Hall, Rudston. 8O 8O 8O

You don't look out of place in 'Green' around here. :wink: I didn't actually go, though :roll:

Hayley x

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
but partly because there COULD be breeding endorsements on the dogs registration at the kennel club which we are overriding by mating her.
Not being pedantic Di - but if you over-ride something - you are 'negating it' i.e. making null and void.

You would be contravening the KC endorsements - which means you wouldn't be able to register the pups.

OP - do you have the girls KC paperwork? if you do, and it isn't in your name, is it something you could go back to the breeder to discuss?

It might be the light, but your girl looks like a liver yellow - would be interesting to know more about her breeding. I had a look at the more indepth pedigree - mum has a fair few working lines behind her.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sorry Sue I'm not sure what your point is? I was talking about the idea of the pups being unregistered. I was assuming the poster doesn't hold the KC documents (turns out she does my mistake from private contact).

Therefore if you went ahead and mated that bitch without looking at her documents (because the owner does not have them) you COULD potentially be overiding or negating the 'progency not to be registered' put there by the breeder which technically wouldn't matter at all because the pups were destined to be unregistered, but morally and ethically that would be a bad thing in my view as a stud dog owner. Its just another reason not to accept unregistered bitches. Because they MIGHT be registered and have progency not to be registered on them and the owner can't persuade the breeder to remove it.

Unlikely in this case, but that was my point. Hope this is clearer now, it could of been how I phrased it. I was trying to keep it simple as Ashleigh is new to all this 'technical speak'.

Di

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Di - my point for anyone looking who may be seeking advice is the use of your wording

Over-riding means
"taking precedence over all other considerations"

i.e. cancelled out. In other words, the KC restrictions accounting for nothing (as in an administrator could over-ride a locked computer with their password).

Negate means the same thing. So to someone who read the post literally, it could be interpreted as - if you mate, you can register.

Your post wasn't wrong, your choice of wording was :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote="sue51

It might be the light, but your girl looks like a liver yellow - would be interesting to know more about her breeding. I had a look at the more indepth pedigree - mum has a fair few working lines behind her.[/quote]

she is light on both sides and her underbelly and legs, is liver yellow good or bad, best pic i have to show is this

any details on relivtives would be great hip scores, colour, working or show lines, good dogs in ped etc not sure where to look really

this is her pedigree if iam doing it right

ped name is kenocto your so perfect

her dads side ggggg 1st

slidingddale slipper at sharistone
sharistone sparking light

egroeg chocolate grove
pennyfarthers delight

davidsboy bracken of tweedshot
honeycomb duchess

manorpark bruno
whin hill blonde

davidsboy bracken of tweedshot
honeycomb duchess

manorpark bruno
whin hill blonde

stecaro new venture for bryzobren
hollyvale rumbabar at bryzobren

hardy's honour
pepsi max

gggg

sharistone stevador
black lustre lady of sharistone

manorpark bruno
charmed jewel

manorpark bruno
imperial liberation

bryzobern gaultier
great lane lass

ggg

sharistone willy wonka
marbeled angel

kenmill to barton
clear focus

gg

smart treat
reece lady

king top bruno

dams side

ggggg

rock of harden
megan of raygill

hopelevel prince
holland sally

shadowbrae dipper
bran of deanraw

glanton prince
maid penelope of consett

FT CH CARNOCHWAY DANIEL
westhala hell raiser

bean dub of lynwater
freaderika of luing

FT CH IF CH THEOWEIR TURRAMURRA TEAL (IKC)
FT CH CROFTWEIT SOLO

willowyck raglan of leadburn
webley elm

gggg

tarnhowes ladd
fineburn heidi

wrytree falcon
clairtony cassandra

gwedley admiral
maidland lady mist

FT CH KENUE FIR OF LEADBURN
lindairon penkiln phoebe

ggg

rookhope rajah
rose of consett

bullet of baldoon
buckinhams bonney

gg

bollihope brown bear of mallygill
pryhill blaze

kenmillix moulin rouge

thankyou to any1 that can help with this info as i have no details of other owner with regards to breeder but whats on her 5 gen cert x

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi Ashleigh, I hope you got my email and all the attached info earlier today. Meantime, looking at your pedigree/previous post I think its important to explain something to you.

You could be easily forgiven for thinking your girls pedigree is important in the proposed litter you might have. It is not. The reason for that is that you are not breeding a bitch who has really been linebred for reasons to improve the breed or compete in any way, the high proportion of unknownand pet dogs in her pedigree show this. Chances ARE they have been mated for the same reasons YOU wish to mate. Because they love their dogs and want to reproduce them there or there abouts.

So technically if you look at her pedigree and think about breeding on pedigree merit, you would say 'no, not good enough, or at least, too many unknowns etc etc' BUT that is not the reason YOU want to breed. You are not going to 'further the breed' or anything like that with this mating, just produce hopefully healthy happy pet puppies for families. Like so many litters out there, so whilst not a good enough reason for some, its a very POPULAR reason numerically.

So therefore I would put her pedigree to the back of your mind and think, at maturity, about HER. her personality and chcracter faults and virtues. Her physcial places that you feel she could use improving. The character points that could use improving. Then search search search by the methods I suggested, going to shows and working tests etc to see what dogs are out there with the character and physcial atributes you feel might improve your girl.

I would lay pedigree at the back of your mind because actually in all honesty you wouldn't particulraly find anything you COULD linebreed to or 'match with' really because its a real outcross of all sorts of types and lines.

Don't take this as an insult, take it as positive advice. I can 100% understand folks thinking that breeding is all about pedigrees. Breeding competition dogs at the top and middle end to a certain extent IS, but to breed pets which is what you will be doing is about health (so if she ends up having a slightly higher hip score than you'd like look for a VERY low scoring dog which will narrow your search) temperament, and just physcially trying to use the best possible dog you can possibly afford to give you the best back up possible and help and advice too from the people that own him.

Good luck
Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" Has everyone on this thread been over-imbibing??? "

... I only wish I knew what that meant!
Thickie from Sompting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts