Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week my chocolate lab of 12 has been vomiting every day. We took him to the vets who gave anti sickness, which helped for a day or two but didn’t do much. He’s still got an appetite (will eat a little less than normal) and is still drinking but it won’t stay in his stomach for long before it comes back up again.

Were struggling to make the difficult decision as to let him go or not. He seems himself in the sense of still enjoying and wanting to go for walks, still trying to eat and drink, still wagging his tail and playing around with us. But seeing him be sick so often (once every hour and half) is just so upsetting.

At first he was not eating any of his dry food at all, he would only eat things such as sausage rolls and mini sausages, then after a few days we mixed his wet food with some dry and he would eat that. But I must admit it gave him a terrible belly, which is not like him at all. He was gassy and had diarrhoea. We’ve now stopping the wet food as thinking that probably didn’t help his tummy. He really seems out off by his dry food but is it worth trying to give him something else to eat or will it just make it worse for him? He’s drinking okay but will bring up a yellow bile a little while after.

Any advice and opinions would be much appreciated. Would it be kinder to put him to sleep?

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
I had a problem with Amy two years back. Continual sickness which lasted for over two weeks. I fed her very small helpings of rice, with just a little chicken mixed in to make it more palatable. Although it was around for so long it did pass eventually. Amy was around the same age as yours at the time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a problem with Amy two years back. Continual sickness which lasted for over two weeks. I fed her very small helpings of rice, with just a little chicken mixed in to make it more palatable. Although it was around for so long it did pass eventually. Amy was around the same age as yours at the time
Did you ever find out the cause of it? I’ve just tried giving him a handful of chicken and rice and within 5 minutes it was back up again. It’s so upsetting seeing him like this, he seems so sorry for himself :(

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
No, I never found the cause as such, but suspect a virus. After a week or so Chloe caught it, but being young (3 years old at the time.) she threw it off in a couple of days. My vet gave Amy the stomach settling injection, but I have to say the first did no good. But a week later he gave her a second, and from then on she started to improve. Once sorted Amy went on for another 2 years before the inevitable happened.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I went through this with my first choc lab. Sadly, it didn’t end well. I think you need to press your vet for a diagnosis and then decide. We went through about 9 months of the vet trying various medications, me making all sorts of home made food. In the end she had an ultrasound and biopsy but it was too late. We decided to let her go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, we took ted at the vets at 12 and he is now sleeping well in the sky.

I think he knew it was his time, he laid down outside on a blanket and wouldn’t get up. He closed his eyes and the sun was beaming down on him. He loved sunbathing so it was perfect for him really.

The vet told us there isn’t much they could do as they believe there was a large lump in his tummy which had spread and was causing his sickness. We knew about a lump in his throat but this one in his tummy was new. It was too upsetting seeing him not able to keep down any food at all over the past week. We would’ve rather him sleep well and be out of pain than pull him apart for potential operations given his age.

Thank you everyone for the support, I am beyond upset but find peace in knowing he’s resting well.

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
I'm so very sorry, I feel your loss. But try to celebrate his life rather than mourn his death.

Therefore to this dog will I,
Tenderly not scornfully,
Render praise and favour:
With my hand upon his head,
Is my benediction said,
Therefore and forever.

(Elizabeth Barrett Browning.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve never felt a grief like this before. God I wish I could cuddle him to sleep every night. Please enjoy these pictures of our lovely teddy bear!

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
They really are the most wonderful creatures. They ask so little but give so much. 😢

1 - 10 of 10 Posts