Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holly (11 weeks old) is on Skinners Field and Trial Crunchy food. This is what the breeder was feeding her (she was on Skinners Puppy before that). She is thriving and doing really well.

However, just been looking on the Skinners website and they say that the Crunchy is for dogs 8 months - 18 months of age. They say the Puppy can be used up until 9 months of age.

So, do you think Holly is OK staying on the Field and Crunchy or should I swap her onto the puppy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hi :) 11wks seems awfully young to take her off of puppy food. They normally stay on it until around 9months give or take depending on which brand they are. If she was on the Skinners one personally I'd put her back onto it. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will answer your question. :)

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
How long has she been on it? Is she doing well on it? TBH if she is thriving and settled on the crunchy I would leave her :wink:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think its JohnW you need ?
Im sure he has said he doesnt believe in puppy food atall as it encourages them to grow too fast thus damaging joints?
Dont take my word on that tho as I do get confuzzled :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. She is doing great and loves her food. I was about to order some more food and that's why I looked at the Skinners website and then got a bit worried as it mentioned about the crunchy being from 8 months.

She is our 1st puppy and it's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes!!! She certainly is keeping us on our toes - she has had her head in a tin of emulsion paint this morning :roll:

P.S. Vicky - Just ordered a lovely Christmas stocking for Holly from your website :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Quarrington is at the other end of the age scale.I feed Quarrington on that one I did read that it only went up to 18 months and he is 2 but when I changed him over to the maintenance food he was starving and started being destructive again so I changed him back. I had a word with his breeder as she was the one that recommended it and she said that she keeps hers on it.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Angel was around 4 months when we started her on adult Skinner's, the only reason was I didn't discover it until then.

They were both on Health & Vitality at first but I've swapped to the Museli as they started to leave it and I found I was having to mix it with wet in order for them to eat it.

The guy who advised me on it was a vet and a Lab. owner he said it was fine to feed a young pup with it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Molly was fed Chudleys greyhound racer food when we got her and we were told to move her onto Junior, they said that I had to watch the protein and that puppy food is too high and made them grow to fast which would give them problems later, but I don't know if thats right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Think I will leave her with what she is on at the moment. She is thriving and looks great.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
If she is doing OK as she is then as others have said, dont change. It will do her no harm, and the slower growing could do her great. Don't forget, there is no puppy food in the wild and as soon as a bitch has finished feeding her pups they would be eating the same as the rest of the pack. Even in the domestic dog puppy food is relativly new. We had no puppy foods in my earlier days and it did my dogs no harm, in fact my longest living dog saw very little dog food at all and lived mainly on table scraps (This was in the food rationing days.)

Regards, John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts