Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magnus is now 10 months old and training is ongoing and slow. This is a combination of inexperienced lab owners and a boisterous and stubborn dog!
So, progress is slow but we are making headway. At home he does really well with commands and we try to stimulate and introduce different things. Outside is a different kettle of fish....with all the interesting things going on. We can now walk past people 95% of the time with no lunging or jumping, I tend to talk and reassure as we go by. However, anyone who show the slightest interest, by a smile at him or a hello he launches himself at them, jumping, so eager to say hello. It’s particularly bad if someone wants to stop for a chat, I’ve tried the sit command, a tasty treat which he will do briefly before taking off again. I do realise this is ‘operator error’, just looking for some advice on how to progress?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Handler error I'm afraid. What you have to understand (sorry if I've said it before) is that they learn in context to their surroundings, so they will do everything really well at home, but outside, with NEW and exciting distractions, no, not so good. What you have to do is be a bit 'rude' and say 'sorry, training him not to jump up or to assume he can say hello to everyone', so that people will see that you're trying to train him not to just try and say hello to everyone. Perhaps a training vest? I know you can get some off Amazon and the like with 'in training' on them, that might help. There's nothing worse with the random stranger who says 'I don't mind if they jump up', no, you might not, but the person on their way to work in a suit might, and 'you' have just encouraged my pup/dog that it's fine to do so.

Definitely try training classes, he may be more giddy initially, but a good trainer will help to train you to train your dog. I'm going to basic gundog training with my girls, and I'm loving it, learning new ways of achieving the same thing I train my dogs for, so lots of different ways to approach a situation rather than just the one or two I'm used to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree Tarimoor, we do know that we’re not giving the proper direction. We did take him to two lots of puppy training classes which weren’t the best to be honest but we were restricted to what was available in lockdown. He was put in a class with chihuahuas and other very small dogs, not ideal.
Thanks for your advice, I agree about the training (for us) so will look into getting a couple of 1-1 sessions

·
Registered
73 Posts
I completely agree Tarimoor, we do know that we’re not giving the proper direction. We did take him to two lots of puppy training classes which weren’t the best to be honest but we were restricted to what was available in lockdown. He was put in a class with chihuahuas and other very small dogs, not ideal.
Thanks for your advice, I agree about the training (for us) so will look into getting a couple of 1-1 sessions
It's interesting hearing about Magnus's progress, our Jas at just over 5 months is full of it - just as a puppy should be - but, wow, training, if you put your all into it is hard work isn't it?
I started a pup class last week with her......my goodness......her excitement at seeing the other dogs was off the wall and despite what I thought was excellent progress at home she was definitely the naughtiest dog in class 😬 The puppy exercises weren't the issue, she could have done them with her eyes shut, but her manners are what needs the work at the moment, oh yes and recall.....hmmmm.......and did I mention she's still 'mouthing ' rather too much!!

·
Administrator
21,309 Posts
I started a pup class last week with her......my goodness......her excitement at seeing the other dogs was off the wall
Just to put that into perspective, imagine, when you have control there, amongst all those distractions, nothing else will ever be a problem again. Because you will never find so many distractions so close again!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
It's interesting hearing about Magnus's progress, our Jas at just over 5 months is full of it - just as a puppy should be - but, wow, training, if you put your all into it is hard work isn't it?
I started a pup class last week with her......my goodness......her excitement at seeing the other dogs was off the wall and despite what I thought was excellent progress at home she was definitely the naughtiest dog in class 😬 The puppy exercises weren't the issue, she could have done them with her eyes shut, but her manners are what needs the work at the moment, oh yes and recall.....hmmmm.......and did I mention she's still 'mouthing ' rather too much!!
I have a similar problem with Branta, not that she wants to get to the other dogs, she's not really bothered about them, but every single retrieve is hers, every single exercise she wants to do it every single time. She has absolutely no steadiness around other dogs, something I am going to have to build up. Bags of drive, and when it comes together it's brilliant, but I just need a lid to stick on the desire to treat every exercise as her own personal training class.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts