Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a couple of items on this forum, I am thinking this may not be the right way to proceed. However, I have a wonderful yellow Lab called Billy, and I wanted to breed from him in order to have his puppies. What is the right way to go about this? :eek:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
First of all, if he is a family pet. Why do you want to use him for breeding?It is never a good idea.
People with stud dogs that breed properly, have health checks,ie hips x-rayed and scored, also elbows x-rayed and scored, eyes examined by an expert,who is recognised for doing this examination. Also very important is to know whether your dog is a good enough speciman to be bred from and of course temperment has to be impeccable. We all think our dog's are the best, but breeders spend a lot of money and time entering shows and trials to get other peoples expert opinion as to how good their dog's are. There is a breed standard, and whilst there is no perfect dog, it is always wise to only breed from first class specimens. So if I were you I would forget breeding with your dog, I do not mean this to be rude, but if he is your pet keep him as such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to be honest, I just wanted to keep his line, purely sentimental reasons. I would like him to live forever. As far as his health goes, I would be more than willing for him to have all the necessary checks. I would not sell the puppies but give them to family members who are wanting to have a piece of Billy. As far as his temprement goes, well I have had Labradors my whole life, and he is typical in every way..good natured, fun loving, and very greedy.

Is this then still a bad idea? Will his character change for the worse?

·
Registered
244 Posts
You've probably read these posts - http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-931.html

but have linked in case you haven't! Bear in mind Lablover's comments that his temperament may change.

Another thing to consider is, do you have enough family members wanting a lab pup? You might get more pups than you bargained for! Lastly, as for wanting him to live for ever... I can totally sympathise with that - we all love our labs to pieces - but none of his pups will be the same as him, and if that's what you're after you'll be disappointed. There are so many labs in rescue (including pups)... how about giving one of them a home instead so your wee man can teach it all he knows and give it a second chance in life? From what you say about his temperament he would make a great teacher.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Milly01
In answer to your first post:
and I wanted to breed from him in order to have his puppies. What is the right way to go about this?
The correct way to go about this is......
depending on whether he is from show or field lines, you need to start entering some shows and competitions. The reasons for this are twofold. Firstly, it allows him to be assessed by those with knowledge (please don't think me being rude, but a lifetime of owning pets would not give anyone enough knowledge to breed), secondly, if he is successful, it allows others to see him and approach you about using him on their bitch. Of course there are no guarantees of this, there are a lot of proven labrador studs out there already. This is the only way you will find a quality bitch to breed with. To be honest, if he was sold to you as a pet it is highly unlikely he is good enough to enter the gene pool, although he may be the exception and the way to find out is do as i suggested above.

I just wanted to keep his line, purely sentimental reasons
For purely sentimental reasons I plead with you not to. There are far too many labs in rescue, far to many labs being bred. Whilst I understand you love him and want one just like him, the best way to do this is go back to his breeder for another pup.

Is this then still a bad idea? Will his character change for the worse?
Yes and possible changes in character include marking indoors, roaming, increased agression towards other male dogs and when you take him out for walks his total focus will be on finding another bitch.

In addition to this, what experience do you yourself have of supervising a mating. There is a very real risk of injury to either or both the bitch and stud if you don't know what you are doing.

Please keep him as the much loved pet he is.
Just out of interest, what are his lines?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I have just clicked in to answer your new queries, but they have already been answered in full by swillsby and Lablover. I do hope you will rethink the whole decision through carefully. All the best Meg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok then got the gist. Billy will have to remain single. How sad. Billy has a very interesting history, he is French, was abandonned, taken in by me, then re-claimmed, then given back to me! It was all so very sad...but now he is happy and so am I. He is registered in France though. With regards to a rescue lab, well I am looking into it...I think this may be preferable then going to a breeder, although I must admit I would love to take in a puppy, afterall Billy was already 2 when I got him.

Thanks to all of you, not that I wanted to hear it. But looks like it could be the right descision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts