Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really worried bout buster he was perfect this morning when we got up and around bout 2ish he started being sick and has been sick several times throughout the afternoon and this evening we took him for a little walk and he had a normal stool but just keeps being sick now he is just sleeping he has got plenty of water but my other half has just checked on him and he still asleep but he is shivering so we have put a blanket on him im just wondering wat the hell itcould be as he is really worrying me. :(

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
What has he been eating prior to being sick?
Has he coughed at all?
How old is he?
Has he been vaccinated within the last couple of weeks?

Regards, John

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he had his normal feed this morning and had a little bit of apple this morning but thats it. his annual check up isnt til january that when he gets his annual injections he has been sick in the past never this many times in a day. he was 2 years old in november.he hasnt coughed either.

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
At 2 years old he will be rather stronger that a pup of just a few weeks old, so you can afford to watch for a little while. It certainly sounds like something has upset his stomach so I would starve until tomorrow and then review the situation. If things are not improved then maybe it's time to ring the emergency vet and take advice.

Regards, John

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I don't know anything about this sort of thing as I'm fairly new to dog ownership - but has he had apple before? I ask because the first time Indy had apple she vomited. It was only once, but I've not given her apple since.

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
but has he had apple before? I ask because the first time Indy had apple she vomited.
If we are sick we generally feel bad for a time after but dogs powers of recovery seem so much faster. Usually in a case like that a dog is sick then virtually immediately acts as if better. :)

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Buster - John has given you very sound advice there...

I do hope he is better in the morning and the call to the emergency vet is not needed....

Please let us know how he is....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
why do they always do this to us on bank holidays eh - Ruby decided to be sick a few times on Christmas eve and I was panicking big time, Ruby milked it for all it was worth and lay like a 'broken deer' most of the afternoon :( She was fine by yesterday so I hope Buster is back to normal this morning xxxxx

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well update on buster i was up half the night with him being sick and shivering so i slept on the floor with him, i ended gettin up at 8 this morning with him a definately wasnt himself he was very quiet i gave him his food and he eat it very slow not like buster who scoffs up like a pig so i knew he wasnt well he kept it down for 1 hour and 1/2 then brought it back up. so i boiled some rice gave him some and he went 4 hours without being sick so gave him some more and water he has finally stopped being sick but he is very sleepy but slowly gettin back to his usual self like expecting to get something when we are eating so i know he is gettin back to his normal self as yesterday he just slept whle we had xmas dinner. im so glad i didnt have to fone the emergency vet out makes it worst as we are at my parents in salford(manchester) as we live in tidworth (wilts) and we are here til sunday. so thank you so much for all your concerns and help thank you so much much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Sounds a very unpleasant experience :( good to hear he is on the mend now - keep us posted on his progress.

This is an ideal thread to re-enforce the message about emergency vets though - I was talking to my own vet about this Christmas eve.

I do believe most areas are probably covered by the "Vets Now" service. In addition to being there to visit if you feel there is no option - they are also there to provide FREE telephone advice, and I've used this on a number of occasions in the last couple of years - never once have they asked me to visit - we did once on Hally's first litter, but as she delivered a pup en-route, they were quite happy to do a quick health check of mum and babies and send us on our way with no charge (we did leave a donation). They have even rung us back later on a couple of occasions to check everything has settled down.

So a call to the EV doesn't necessarily require a visit and a lot of expense - but their standing possibly means they see far more unusual situations than your average vet - and can help, even if it is putting your mind at rest or giving an indication of what symptoms to could be considered a worsening of the condition.

?

·
0 Posts
I do believe most areas are probably covered by the "Vets Now" service. In addition to being there to visit if you feel there is no option - they are also there to provide FREE telephone advice,
I have never heard of Vets Now and it sounds like an excellent service idea. Do you fancy starting a new information thread about this Sue and I'll sticky it in the Health forum? :wink:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
_Jules_ said:
I have never heard of Vets Now and it sounds like an excellent service idea. Do you fancy starting a new information thread about this Sue and I'll sticky it in the Health forum? :wink:
Hi Jules - just thawed out from going to a show :roll: grief it is cold :roll:

Ironically, when I checked, there doesn't appear to be an outlet in Manchester where the OP was over the holidays :roll:

But here's the info for anyone interested - will also look at putting a post together

http://www.vets-now.com/

Thanks
Sue

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Buster sounds like to recover he could use a little help. So please consider popping to a chmist or supermarket with a pharmacy and getting him some glucose powder in a packet. Then adding a good few shakes to his water, or better still, make him up some weak goats milk about half and half goats milk (full fat) and boiling water. Shake in a good couple of tablespoons of glucose powder, let it go hot, not just luke warm and not boiling but pleasantly warm to the touch and let him lap it up.

If you only have cows milk use that with equal amounts of water. Just want after all that sickness to see him getting some sugars back in his body. a pinch of salt in each would do no harm. Better still above all these get some Electrolyte powders from the chemist like you give to children when they are sick? Plain is best but any till do in the circumstances, orange, raspberry, whatever. Add THAT to boiling water, let cool a bit, add goats milk or cows milk and let him drink the lot down.

Use three a day today, use two tomorrow and the next day and one the day after.

Di

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update on wat was a poorly dog is not so poorly anymore he is begging for food off me and the hubby so i know he is very better also he has gone now 2 days with not being sick he must have had a bug which was goin around we are back in wiltshire he is at the vets in jan for his annual check up and injections so ill mention it to the vet also he has a lump on his eyelid so want the vet to take a look . thank you so much for the help and support you have given me i love you girls and guys. hope you all have a great new year. :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear Buster is just about back to his usual self now, must have been so worrying with him being sick all the time, I would give him his food little and often (but not so much) for a few days to allow his tummy to readjust slowly :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts