Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical, isn't it! Spent the morning out training with a friend. It rained all morning, not a breath of wind to move the scent around. And as soon as you get home the sun comes out! I hate dogs!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I'm fed up of this weather, one minute it's so hot you have to wait till gone 5pm to walk dogs, the next minute it's a pea souper, or pouring down with rain.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was absolutely no wind. I left my friend and the dogs in my truck and went and seeded an area in the wood with 6 dummies for the dogs to hunt up, 3 each, and they really had to work hard to find them. There was just the two of us, Jill with her Golden bitch and me with Chloe. I think the day favoured the ground scenting Labradors rather than the air scenting Goldens. It's interesting watching the different styles of working.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
It's interesting watching Rhuna as opposed to my Labradors, you know when she's onto something close as her head goes from up to down on the ground.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are interesting to watch! Out of all the gundog breeds Labradors are the only natural ground scenters, though there is of course a crossover. But then, watching the effects of wind on the scent cone coming off the dummy/game. In high wind the cone is quite fine/narrow. The lower the wind the wider the cone. When it's still air like this morning there is 360deg scent, but literally so spread that it has got very faint so literally, unless the dog actually passes right over what it's been sent for it wont wind it at all. This morning Jill put a blind out for Chloe along the railway line. She told me it was behind some logs on the left. Because there was no way Chloe could see it from the railway line I elected to send her past the logs, stop her, redirect to the left, then when she was wide enough call her back towards me so she ran into the scent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts