Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone introduced a new dog to the household (older, not a puppy), when your lab was around a year old? Any success stories? We were thinking of a rescue in a few months, but our lab Harry is still young and we’re not sure if it would be the right thing. Is it incredibly hard with two? What’s the likelihood they just wouldn’t get on?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Yes, I've had a mixed medley of dogs for a number of years, Labradors are generally easy going so it's not difficult to introduce another dog. The rescues I've had have all been either Labrador or Labrador cross, or foxhounds, so are a good match for the dogs I already had in the household. I have to be careful with the foxhounds as they are very, very foody, so need to learn not to push in when feeding another dog, but that's fine, they are pretty easy natured. So it depends on the breed you are thinking of introducing, but as far as work, it does make it more than double the work in some respects, you may need to train separately, at least twice the food bills and so on, but they also get to play with each other, and bounce off each other, so it does come with some plus points.

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
Labradors seem a pretty tolerant breed. Mine always seem to recognise and get on with other labs and retriever type breeds but smalls is another matter. Any reputable rescue will make sure the dogs are compatible before any decision is made.

Until recently I had 5, you’ll probably notice going from one to two but after that, hell, what’s one more? 🤣🤣

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone introduced a new dog to the household (older, not a puppy), when your lab was around a year old? Any success stories? We were thinking of a rescue in a few months, but our lab Harry is still young and we’re not sure if it would be the right thing. Is it incredibly hard with two? What’s the likelihood they just wouldn’t get on?
We recently made our 2 dog terrier household into a 3 dog home with the addition of Jas our lab pup. It is hard work but like having another child you soon wouldn't be without them, even though folk on the outside looking in might think it's bonkers 😀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts