Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember Shadow from all those years ago. In May 2017 he had an operation to release the last nerve in his spine, in October 2018, I spent a month in Cambridge with him when he had a brain tumour.

Today, we had to say goodbye to my old friend. I'll never forget all the amazing times we have had or all the things we've been through. You were so brave all your life and I was so privileged to have known you. I'll always miss you Shadow.

He had been getting steadily stiffer but there was a lot of weakness on his back legs, yesterday he started collapsing, today he couldn’t stand at all. It was ever so fast but sort of expected. At one point today, it actually looked like he was crying. Well I am now.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Snout

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry Steve.

Therefore to this dog will I,
Tenderly not scornfully,
Render praise and favour:
With my hand upon his head,
Is my benediction said,
Therefore and forever.

(Elizabeth Barrett Browning.)
Thank you John, this means a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Sending love. Run free big man. It never gets any easier. Xxx

Reactions: Steve_P

·
Registered
25 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I’m new to being a dog mum and I haven’t experienced what you’re going through yet. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling. Enjoy your memories of a life well lived with your wonderful boy 💙

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So sorry to read this sad news. They leave huge holes but many happy memories. Run free Shadow. Xxx

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even when we know it's the time for them, it's never the time for us to say goodbye xx
Exactly. Don't think I'll ever forget the way he looked at the end. You always hope that you got the time right and it wasn't too soon, but you know really. It was just so fast and that's what makes it so hard to grasp. Sorry, it's kind of difficult to see what I'm typing.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So sorry for your loss. I’m new to being a dog mum and I haven’t experienced what you’re going through yet. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling. Enjoy your memories of a life well lived with your wonderful boy 💙
Thank you. Making great memories as often as we can is the key. If only these hairy besties lived as long as us, it would all be so much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So sorry to read this sad news. They leave huge holes but many happy memories. Run free Shadow. Xxx
Thank you. They do though, they get under our skin and take so much with them. I'd still do it all over again.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
they get under our skin and take so much with them
They do, but they give so much. Our keeper was away today, so I went and did the feeding, and after I did a bit of training with Chloe, and she tried so hard, stopping on the whistle and taking directions. She's now laid in her chair sleeping the sleep of the just!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
Exactly. Don't think I'll ever forget the way he looked at the end. You always hope that you got the time right and it wasn't too soon, but you know really. It was just so fast and that's what makes it so hard to grasp. Sorry, it's kind of difficult to see what I'm typing.
To be honest, I hope with mine it's always something that happens quickly, rather than a long drawn out affair. I have Tau who is still running around like a youngster some days, but I'm realistic, I have limited time with her. So I'll make the most of it, and I know I will have to make the decision to say goodbye when it's less fun for her. But I bless every day I have with them, and the memories they give me xx

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, I hope with mine it's always something that happens quickly, rather than a long drawn out affair. I have Tau who is still running around like a youngster some days, but I'm realistic, I have limited time with her. So I'll make the most of it, and I know I will have to make the decision to say goodbye when it's less fun for her. But I bless every day I have with them, and the memories they give me xx
Definitely so, we just never know what's around the corner do we?

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They do, but they give so much. Our keeper was away today, so I went and did the feeding, and after I did a bit of training with Chloe, and she tried so hard, stopping on the whistle and taking directions. She's now laid in her chair sleeping the sleep of the just!
And without question too. We still have your training books in the filing cabinet with Shadow's stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi so sorry to hear, my lab is almost 13,was diagnosed with dwarfism and severe elbow dysplasia at 18 months (she was a rescue) and we were told she wouldn't live past 5,but she just keeps surprising us. Every winter we think this is it and every time, she just says no, not this year. So we just enjoy every moment we have with her, but when the time comes that she looks at us and asks, then we wiil face what you are going through right now. It's so totally crap and it doesn't get any easier, however many times you have had to go down this path but know that there is so much empathy out there for you and what you are going through right now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts