Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in behaviour and didn't get much response, maybe it's a really daft question but I'm sure different dogs have different flairs and talents so wil try this question here :

I don't know anything about Lincoln's background as he was a rescue from Dog's trust, just know he came over from Ireland..and he was about 1 year old when we met :)

Ok, from what I see of him and comparing him to others he seems small for a boy and slightly built, i presume from working type lines?
what i have noticed is that he is in his element when we are walking the fields and river bank and he gets on the scent of pheasants and ducks, his tail goes into 'whirlygig' mode and he is off..nose down and just loves birds flying off in all directions. He becomes a totally different dog..and u can just see this is what he was born to do

at other times he will stand motionless and sniff and..search ..and then invariably put up a pheasant..

he has no interest in rabbits..when we walk the local common where there are hundreds he seems mildly amused by them..but seldom even changes direction to follow..he did the same with some deer we shared a field with the other day..he sniffed them but just watched them hopskip away..

I guess my question are some dogs just natural bird dogs?, people i meet with other labs say theirs will chase rabbits..or not chase anything..or dont seem to have a clue..

Luckily where I live he has ample opportunity to fulfill his love of birds, but got me thinking what if he had never been able to use his talents? and what should I do now to fulfill his instinct..I know nothing about gundogs as such although we are using a trainer who is teaching us the basics of retrieves, steadiness, stays etc because i think it's all good stuff for his development.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well my guess would be that you are probably right that Lincoln does have working blood flowing through his veins.

Maybe he just finds bird scent irresistible, I must admit, my experience is that my dogs find any game scent attractive, but maybe Lincoln just does n't make the association with bunnies.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing by seeing a trainer who, should be able to help you channel his natural instincts in the right direction.

Keep us posted with how he is coming along, with pictures if at all possible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
monkeyboy said:
Keep us posted with how he is coming along, with pictures if at all possible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
:D :D :D

I can tell roughly what scent my dogs have picked up by their tail action, a rabbit being less vigorous than a pheasant, but they still show a lot of interest in rabbits. I find one of the problems is what happens next. The bird takes to the sky, the dog is told to stay and that’s the end of it, but with the rabbits, they just disappear underground. I had a lab some years ago, who as a youngster chased some rabbits and saw them go to ground. She rationalised this as all she has to do is dig and you get a rabbit. 8O The garden suffered badly, until the behaviour could be corrected. :?

John

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She rationalised this as all she has to do is dig and you get a rabbit. The garden suffered badly, until the behaviour could be corrected.
Lol well Lincoln just doesn't do bunnies, i think he thinks they are long eared cats...he lives with 2 cats and has learnt to his cost not to mess with them! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts