Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my boy came back from his walk with his tail between his legs - literally :( While playing with another dog, he must have damaged it and can only manage a very pathetic wag. It's amazing how much a part of doggy language the tail is. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, according to my vet it is quite common for labs to hurt their tails. He calls it 'coffee table tail' because a lot of them do it by wagging against coffee tables. It is also common for them to do it whilst swimming, especially in cold water or if they haven't been swimming for a while. Poppy has done it twice like this. She is a real wimp and squeals if she thinks something might hurt her and was not impressed at all. I think she had anti-inflammatries to ease the pain, otherwise it was just a matter of time. They do look sad with their droopy tails don't they?

Rosie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi lablover awww yes i hope his tail gets back to normal soon but is it just my lab or does anyone else lab wag there whole body aswell as there tail??

brandys whole body goes like a snake wiggling all over the place along with her tail..lol.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi lablover,
hope your boys tail gets better soon. its sad to see a non waggy lab. they allways look so forlorn :(

and yes clare. when max goes into full wag mode he nearly falls over and god help any thing that gets in the way of the tail or the bum. :D

jane and max.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Clair,yes Dylan does that too,and dont they look so cute,i love him doing that and trying to carry half a tree which he has got from the woods and the neighbours coming out to laugh,he just soaks up the attention.Ben used to do it too but can't remember Sam doing it.Lynne.

·
Registered
421 Posts
a dogs tale

A good wag is an important thing!

Sparky the labrador in Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions couldn't wag his tail because of a car accident.

Therefore he had no way of showing other dogs how friendly he was and so used to get into a lot of fights. :(

Hope your dogs tail is well on the way to recovery! :p

Mind you, after a few more knocked over wine glasses and the occasional coffee mug, I'm sure you'll be wondering like me why they just can't give a little grin to show how happy they are! :?

John
www.marsupialelvis.comwhere a dogs tail becomes a dogs tale

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your good wishes. He's on rimadyl and think he's probably torn some ligaments so will mend. The funny thing is when he goes to wag his tail and ends up chasing it!

John - poor Sparky - it's very true tails play an important part of doggy language - and not just wagging them. This can cause problems in docked breeds too, particularly when they have been docked too short.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Lablover
Just read re doggie's tail. I do hope he is back wagging soon. Keep us posted Meg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts