Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Love the description of 'little black labs' - perfect! :)

Very different 'send outs' to the training I've had! Just shows that 'scruffier' sending out causes more handling, and more early handling!

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the vids Jill put on above it's easy to see how handling has improved over the years, Also how distances appear to have increased. (I say "Appear" because videos appear to shorten distances) I wonder, looking at those vids in 20 years time how things will have developed further??

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I can't really comment much on driven trials John as I've done so few. I love walk up trials though and the dogs have to be pretty much spot on or you get called up or a B which is the end of your trial.

I don't think the many hours spent training the straight lines of todays modern trialling dogs actually detract from the hunting ability of the dogs. To win a Novice Trial you need to hardly touch your whistle at all, in walk up trials anyway. It is expected that you can send your dog in a straight line in front, behind or across the line, and that the dog can hunt and pick with very little if any interference from the handler unless its a blind and even then with minimal quiet handling.

I'm not sure how much more room there is for refinement in the future although I guess that will be decided by the availablity of suitable trialling grounds. Will the moors and big estate's still be around to be used for trials? Or will shooting still be allowed for that matter?

Just as an aside I prefer longer retrieves. Its often the tricky little short retrieves that catch dogs out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great to see the old trialing compared to the new trialing. It's changed a lot!

Thanks John and Ettinsmoor for posting the vids :)

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are loosing so many of the big estates, gone to pay death inheritance tax. Then with restrictions in heather burning and possibly more restrictions to come the moorland habitat is disappearing. Antis turning more and more attention on shooting. I wonder if there is a future? The IGL Championship being held on dummies in a field???

Regards, John

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really enjoyed watching that old video John thank you. That was from the year I was born! :0)

Kirsten and Molly

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Anyone interested in seeing a field trial for REAL, its not a closed shop... offer to help at your local gundog club and tell them you are new and societies are always keen for new members and interested helpers!
:)
Di

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Loving the send outs lol esp the yellow lab rose whose handler took a little jog out to get her going!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Enjoyed watching that so thanks for posting John!

My working goldie has both the goldens in this video in his pedigree. Holway Chanter on his 6th generation and Volvo of Palgrave twice on his 7th generation so it was nice to see his ancestors.

Eileen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts