Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know my OH keeps racing pigeons. The dogs have all grown up around the pigeons and don't really bother with them. The pigeons can be walking around the garden and the dogs have learnt that a) they can't catch them and b) they are nothing too interesting anyway.

Well, the last few months OH has been leaving the older dogs in the garden when the birds are out flying, no problems with that. Now today, I find out that he has also been leaving the pigeon loft door open, so the dogs can actually go into the pigeon loft. Well this morning, Alfie decided to retrieve one of the pigeons out of the loft 8O and take it to OH who was hanging out the washing. Pigeon seems OK but OH is now rather unhappy and says that the dogs will have to stay in their kennel/run every time the birds are out (which is a few hours morning and few hours night).

Now, to me, leaving the loft door open so the dogs can easily go in there is like leaving a young child alone in a sweet shop every day and expecting them never to touch a thing. In the garden the birds can get away but obviously in the loft they are cornered really.

So what does everone think - was Alfie in the wrong for taking one of the pigeons (which in fairness he knows is not the "done thing") or has it just been a disaster waiting to happen? (as I said I didn't realise he was leaving the door open until this happened today).

Vicki

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
No Alfie wasn't in the wrong IMO, he didn't snaffle it and eat it or play with it, he brought something he knows is special to your OH to him.

I don't think I'd be leaving the loft door open again though with the dogs, as if Alfie got told of for retrieving this morning he might occupy himself in other ways next time

I know nothing about pigeons but can't they have a half 'n' half stable door or something - so the pigeons can get in and out but the dogs can't get in?

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basil said:
I know nothing about pigeons but can't they have a half 'n' half stable door or something - so the pigeons can get in and out but the dogs can't get in?
Not as such but the door is up a few steps so like I said to OH this morning all he has to do is lay a board across the door and the dogs wouldn't bother then. The pigeons could still fly in and out without any problems.

G

·
Now, to me, leaving the loft door open so the dogs can easily go in there is like leaving a young child alone in a sweet shop every day and expecting them never to touch a thing.
That would be my way of thinking too. As you said the birds can get away unless cornered so I can't see the logic of leaving the loft door open so the dogs can go in there.

Why can't the loft door be closed while the dogs are out? Do the birds not have access to the loft any other way?

Dogs are also very situational. So just because they know not to touch the birds while they are wandering round your garden, does not necessarily mean they will apply that rule to a different area, ie in the loft, unless they have been trained so.

I personally think the dog was very restrained as he only retrieved the bird and didn't kill it. After all he could have got very excited chasing the flappy birds around in an enclosed space and killed loads of them.

Looks like the dog who retrieved the bird is trying to tell you he would like to be a proper Gundog. :wink:

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
No I don't think Alfie was in the wrong at all! Far too much temptation with your OH leaving the loft door open.

As Sarah says, a half stable door sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
_Jules_ said:
Looks like the dog who retrieved the bird is trying to tell you he would like to be a proper Gundog. :wink:
Alfie would love nothing better Jules - he will retrieve toys all day long and he doesn't give in until he has found them, it doesn't matter how dense the grass, brambles etc are, he WILL get the toy. His problem is that he can be rather vocal around other dogs out and about and this put an end to the idea of gundog training with him. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts