Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time puppy owner here with lots of questions and worries! I’ve found this site super helpful already so thank you all!
We’re on day 5 of crate training, I’ve read lots of really helpful ideas and suggestions and I have been doing day crate training and night crate training but I’m still not sure I’m doing the right thing for Roman.
He goes into his crate no issues in the day to eat/play/train but rarely stays in there unless I shut the door which I have read not to do in the daytime. He also cries until I soothe him when he’s in there and I shut the door. He also falls asleep outside the crate, usually against my legs but then when I move him to his crate he rarely stays put.

At night time he has been crying when he wakes up, so I’ve been taking him outside for a toilet break and putting him back in, but again he will not settle unless I am there close to him and he’s waking up around 4/5 times from 10pm to 6am. The crate is in the living room so I have been sleeping on the sofa so I am close to him.

My question is after a lot of waffle (sorry!) is this the right way to approach this all? He falls asleep within a few minutes when I soothe him, but I have to be close for him to do that. I have read so much that it’s becoming quite overwhelming and I’m worried I’m not doing the right thing for him.

Thank you for reading this far!

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I shut mine in from a young age, as that's where I feed them, and with multiple dogs it makes things so much easier. I also shut in when I need to leave them as youngsters, so shut them in with a treat so they don't mind being in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shut mine in from a young age, as that's where I feed them, and with multiple dogs it makes things so much easier. I also shut in when I need to leave them as youngsters, so shut them in with a treat so they don't mind being in there.
Thank you for your reply. I shut him in and he cries and barks with no signs of stopping unless I intervene and ‘ssh’ him, which if I do that it takes a matter of a few minutes. But I don’t know whether this is the right thing to do for him!

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I shut him in and he cries and barks with no signs of stopping unless I intervene and ‘ssh’ him, which if I do that it takes a matter of a few minutes. But I don’t know whether this is the right thing to do for him!
I wouldn't be telling him off for squeaking or making a noise, why not feed him in there, so he gets used to being shut away associated with something very positive. My youngster squeaks a bit after she's finished her food in her crate, but I just leave her to it, I have three others in crates, floors to mop and my old FCR who is fed outside of a crate. I ignore Weft (youngster) and just let her out when she's quiet without any fuss. If she's still making a noise I won't let her out, only when she's quiet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts