Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
We just received our pup yesterday and would like some advice on the correct amount of food to feed the pup.
Pup 9 weeks old
Current food he is on Harrington's turkey + rice puppy food (dry).
We are slightly confused by the advice on line
Has anyone had any experience with Harrington's?
If so, can you advise how much per day?
We understand that 4 feedings a day is the way to go at the moment.
We have had conflicting information regarding meal size
One: suggested 885grams per day
Second: 225 i.e. 4 x 55grams
A massive difference!
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you for your time
Regards
derek

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
I would honestly ask the breeder, as they will have been feeding pups the right amount each meal. If for whatever reason you can't speak to them right now, the easiest thing to do is to phone Harringtons, these companies are always keen to help out to ensure continued custom.

You are right to keep your pup on four meals per day, I drop mine down to three meals around 12 weeks of age, and down to two meals at six months of age.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Actually there is not a lot of difference. One is saying a total of 885 grams per day, the other is saying 900 grams split into 4 meals of 225 grams. Thats how I read it. But actually I never weight my dog's food. I feed by eye, and if I think they are getting a bit chubby I cut it slightly and if getting a bit slim I add a bit. But really, they grow so fast that you need to adjust the amount almost daily!

It's normal to feed 4 meals per day until 12 weeks old, 3 to six months then 2 meals thereafter.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Like John I feed by eye, although the last pup I brought in the breeder had weighed out the first few meals and I was given a very detailed puppy pack with weights of meals laid out for me. She's 9 months old now, and still on more than my adults as she's still growing, but I keep an eye on her body condition and either up or reduce portions as I feel necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts